Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 1112
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Around 22 Mar. I received a new HP Notebook 15-AY191ms laptop. I had HP Support Assist. install all new drivers, including updating the BIOS. All worked well till I tried to install a USB printer. The first one I tried was an old Brother printer I used on my old Dell laptop with the same MS Win10 ver of the March update. However, this wouldn't install. Decided I might need a new printer and bought an HP Deskjet 1112. Downloaded the software package from the HP site and tried installing the Deskjet. This install failed to print also. I tried all the HP web site suggestions; use different USB cables, different USB ports on the AY191 (it only has 2 USB2 ports), ran Print & Scan Doctor which reported no problems, and also ran MS print troubleshooter which also reported no problems. If I run the HP Deskjet 1112 printer assistant I will see the printer. The assistant will also print out reports, etc. from this assistant program. No other program will print. A print job can be seen spooled to the deskjet print queue where the queue then reports the job is printing, but nothing ever prints and the job disappears. I then decided to try installing Deskjet on an Acer laptop I have. Used the same USB cable and powerstrip I had used on the HP AY191. Deskjet installed fine on the Acer and printed when ever I wanted. In checking the Device Manager it showed the same devices needed to print (i.e. queues, printers, and USB print manager. I am out of options as far as I can tell except for re-installing the OS which I'd rather not do. I want to mention I have not installed the Creators Update, MS just realeased in Apr. on any of the laptops discussed here. I'm hoping someone has a so far secret, solution to my problem of printing on my new HP Notebook.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JimK9

I strongly hope all goes well. Keep me posted. Good luck! 🙂

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@JimK9

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP DeskJet 1112 Printer and are trying to install it on an HP Notebook - 15-ay191ms laptop which has Win10. I read that the printer assistant detects the prints and prints reports, not anything else. The print job appears in the print queue and then disappears. You were able to successfully install and use the printer on an Acer computer. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Please try to turn off the firewall in your HP laptop and check if it helps to print.

Meanwhile, I suggest you to uninstall the printer drivers from the root level and then install them again using the below steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.

Now, download and install the drivers from this link

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Please let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I have already uninstalled and re-installed the printer and software at least 3 times. I have not used the printui pgm so will try it one more time. I believed I also turned off the wirewall once, but not sure about that and will include that procedure in one more try. I should mention that I used Dev Mgr to delete the USB root hub as this was suggested to someone else with printing problems. It gets re-created after a re-boot. However, this didn't help either. Besides the suggestion said to note under a power tab in properties for the USB root hub to look for a list of USB devices attached. My hub properties window didn't have a power tab so I couldn't verify the power being used by my hub. Should also mentioned I've already used the link you supplied just a day ago to get the software package and drivers installed. I just ran the printui program and it list the HP Deskjet 1110 series driver as the hp driver. Will report back if one more try has any improvement.

HP Recommended

Need more advice before I try another re-install of the printer. Here's what I've done so far. Tried printing with MS Firewall turned off. Same results: Print queue shows 'spooling' the printing, but job disappears with no page printed. Removed HP Deskjet 1110 software and Help from Pgms & Features. Printer was gone from Printers & Devices and also gone from Device Manager along with the print queue. Ran Printui  from elevated cmd where the Deskjet 1110 series driver also did not appear. So assume the deskjet software and driver was gone. 4 other drivers were listed here however. Think 2 drivers, MS print to PDF and MS XPS Doc Writer are ok to leave. 2 other printer drivers are new to me and need to know if I should leave them. They are listed as MS Enhanced Point and Print; one for 64 bit and one for x86 processors. As far as I know these only work with print servers and I'm not running one that I know of. Should I get rid of them also before I try a re-install of the Deskjet 1112? Thanks for any advice.

HP Recommended

@JimK9

Hi,

yes, you may delete the MS Enhanced Point and Print and then reinstall the Deskjet 1112.

Hope this does the trick. Let me know. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Alas, same results of no printing. Very depressing. I noticed that 4 files show up in the folder c:\windows\system32\spool\printers named 005.SPL, 005.SHD and 2 others with long hexadecimal names I couldn't capture. I took the printer back and plugged it into the Acer laptop where it printed just fine again. I'm tired of thinking about this anymore now. Will write a little more about the re-install tomorrow. By the way why does the install included the HP All-In-One Printer Remote windows app. I was never asked if I wanted it installed. Thanks, if you have any other short cuts to getting my new printer to work with the new HP Laptop.

HP Recommended

As I wrote yesterday, still no printing. Ran Print & Scan Dr and it thought it found the printer. Reported some issues found. I chose Fix Printing. It reported some issues found and fixed. Reported recommended updates were installed . I choose print and noticed a file was sent to the queue name Printer TestPage.png, but nothing printed. The printer on light turned off after a few minutes while I did other operations on the Notebook. I then moved the Deskjet printer back to the Acer laptop. It was currently in sleep mode. I plugged in the deskjet usb cable and then the power cord. The printer turned on and made initalization noises. I then printed cells from a spread sheet correctly. After the print job was finished the printer again made initalization noises. I should have mentioned before that when the Deskjet is connected to the HP 15-191ay notebook, the deskjet never makes any intialization noises. No noises are made either before a job is supposed to print or after. This says to me that the 'usaul printer' USB comunication on the 15-191ay is never made for some reason. Do you have any suggestions for fixing this problem? I am about to throw the notebook in the trash, even though it seems to work for everything else. It runs my other programs, I can surf the web, and get email through Thunderbird. While I don't need to print much, it is a vital service sometimes.

HP Recommended

@JimK9

I really appreciate your patience in holding on for so long. I'll suggest you to perform a Windows refresh (repair) on your HP laptop. This will fix any issues with the Windows operating system that my not be allowing the printer drivers to work correctly.

Please follow the steps from this link for Windows refresh. NOTE the steps are the same for Win8 and Win10. 

Post that you can try print and check. Let me know.

All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

There is 2 ways to do a refresh. You can apparently keep all accounts and personal files or do a complete refresh. I'm going to do the complete refresh so that no personal files or anything remains. I will then do a complete re-install of the deskjet printer from a clean machine. This way we will know nothing I did to the HP laptop is to blame. Cross your fingers. I suspected it would come to this.

HP Recommended

@JimK9

I strongly hope all goes well. Keep me posted. Good luck! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.