Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2542
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have tried to print numerous times on my printer. Every time I try, I receive an error according to the printer queue. I have uninstalled the software and re-install it, but this still does not work. I recently updated to the Version 1909 of Windows 10 and haven't been able to print since. I have run the Print and Scan Doctor and the test page won't print either. I can get the internal test page to print, but that's it. I am stumped. Is Version 1909 not compatible with my 2542? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Update: I uninstalled and re-installed the software again, but this time I set it up under a USB connection. Now it prints! Is there something in Windows Firewall preventing the printer to print via wireless? I'm now more stumped that what I was.

HP Recommended

@TechieThom, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'd like to know the following-

• What is the error message when you try to print wireless?
  • Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?
  • What is the distance between the router and the printer?
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@TEJ1602. Thank you for your response. There is no specific error message when I try to print wirelessly. It just pops up as a notification telling me there was an error. My router is dual-band. The distance from the printer to the router is about 10 feet. I do have BitDefender Free installed on my computer as my anti-virus.

HP Recommended

@TechieThom

Thanks for replying!

I would suggest you disable the security software and try printing. Also, the printer is only compatible with 2.4GHz network. Ensure the printer and the computer are connected to the same network i.e., 2.4GHz.

Follow the steps below-

Change Router Channel- Go into your router settings and try changing the channel manually. Experiment with different channels to see which one works best.

Move Closer to Your Router- Move the printer closer to the router.

Assign manual IP to the printer- The steps on how to set a manual IP address can be found here. For the DNS servers please use 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS server. These are Google’s public DNS servers

If the issue persists, try adding a TCP/IP port.

1. Print a Network Configuration Report from the Printer Settings or Wireless menu.
  2. Right-click your printer, select Printer Properties, click the Ports tab and then click Add Port.
  3. Select Standard TCP/IP Port, and then click New Port.
  4. Follow the instructions to add a new port using the information listed on the Network Configuration Report.
  5. Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.