Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
deskjet 2650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

No error message, light just flashes indicating out of black ink even when I replace it with a 304XL black cartrideg (non genuine) by Armor

I saw when I tried to use printer software somewhere it said it was an old style cartridge can no longer find that message.

If I try to print black only it just gets held in the queue

Wossp

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Firstly .... Sandytech2 Thank you very much for your attempt to help

Resolution ?

I called the tech help line,  and I feel it was far easier for them to just say it is a faulty non-genuine cartridge, even though HP website says firmware update will lock the use of non genuine parts.

I’m living at present in France and paid 38Euros for the printer, an XL cartridge is 28Euros (genuine) or 20Euros for the non genuine, it is cheaper in the long run for me to throw it in the bin and purchase

a known printer that does not lock out opposition (It comes with a cartridge).

Very disappointed with HP.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Wossp

Welcome to HP forums, I see that you are getting cartridge error.

Update printer firmware

1. Make sure the printer is on and connected to the computer through your local network or USB cable.

2. Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads.

3. If a Let's identify your product to get started page displays, click Printer.

4. Type your printer model number, and then click Submit.

The software results page for your printer displays with the default operating system selected.

5. If you need to change the version of Windows, click Change, select your version, and then click Change.

6. Click Firmware, and then click Download.

If a Firmware section is not listed, an update is not currently available for your printer.

7. Save the file to your computer.

8. Locate and then open the file to start the installation process.

9. When the HP Printer Update window opens, see if the printer serial number displays.

• If the serial number displays, select the checkbox next to it, and then click Update.

• If the serial number displays but the status is 'not applicable' (grayed out), you do not need the firmware update. Click Cancel.

• If the serial number does not display and your printer uses a network connection, connect a USB cable to the printer and computer. Wait 20 seconds, and then click Refresh. When the serial number displays, select the checkbox next to it, and then click Update.

The HP Printer Update utility window showing a serial number selected for an HP OfficeJet 4650 and an activity bar showing that the update is in progress.

10. When the update completes, click OK.

11. If you connected a USB cable to update your network printer, remove the USB driver installed by Windows.

1. Search Windows for control panel, and then click Control Panel in the results.

2. Click View Devices and printers.

3. Right-click the USB printer device that matches your printer model, and then select Remove Device.

4. Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer, and then restart the computer.

Make sure the ink cartridges are correctly installed

1. If the printer is off, turn on the printer.

2. Open the ink cartridge access door.

The carriage moves to the center of the printer. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before continuing.

Open the ink cartridge acesss door

3. Lightly press down on the ink cartridge to release it, and then pull the ink cartridge out of its slot.

Image: Remove the ink cartridge

CAUTION: 

Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

4. Remove any protective tape that still might be on the contacts.

CAUTION: 

Do not try to remove the copper electrical strip.

Image: Remove the plastic tape and do not touch the contacts or ink nozzles

5. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides with the nozzles toward the printer, and then insert the ink cartridge into its proper slot.

• Insert the black ink cartridge into the right slot.

• Insert the tri-color ink cartridge into the left slot.

Image: Snap the ink cartridge into place

6. Push the ink cartridge forward into its slot until it snaps into place.

7. Repeat these steps to replace the other ink cartridge, if necessary.

8. Close the ink cartridge access door.

Close the ink cartridge access door

You can refer to this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandytechy20

Thanks for responding, I was about to throw it in the bin.

I tried updating firmware but nothing comes up in the Printer Update window

Removed printer and rebooted

With the new non genuine black cartridge in printer, I reset all cartridges to ensure they are seated properly

Closed the access door ....but the light still blinks indicating no ink in black cartridge

HP Recommended

@Wossp

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I understand the issue better now.

• Did you clean the cartridge electrical contacts?

Meanwhile, to fix printer offline error follow the below steps.

Print a Network Configuration Page

Press the Wireless button and Information button at the same time to print the network configuration page.

Locate the IP address in the configuration page.

Set a Static IP Address

1. Run your Web browser.
  2. In the Web browser’s address bar, type the IP address of your printer and press Enter. Assuming you entered the right address, the HP printer control panel should appear.
  3. Click the Networking tab.
  4. Under Connections, click Wired.
  5. HP Printer Static IP Address
  6. Under IP Address Configuration, click Manual IP.
  7. Enter the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway in the appropriate boxes.
  8. Click Apply.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks again for responding...

Ok sorry for misleading you in last message, I tried to include as much info as possible, the problem is not that it is offline I can get it online with the last genuine cartridge which is extremely low.

The only problem I have is that the printer wont recognise the new non genuine 304XL black cartridge I purchased from Armor.

I have cleaned the contacts.

When looking at contacts should the solder spots on the cartridge be in exactly the same place as the genuine cartridge.

If they should be can I turn off the whole chip recognition system as they look different. 

Wossp

HP Recommended

@Wossp

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Eager to know, did you update the printer firmware?

If not, follow the steps mentioned in the above post and update the firmware.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, first thing I did, ...BUT I looked on your website at the firmware information and

Dec 3, 2018
File name:
DJ2600_R1845A.exe
(2.8 MB)
Description:
This software tool will help you update your printer to the latest firmware. Please refer to Fixes and enhancements for more detail about the firmware update.
Reminder: Dynamic security enabled printer. This Firmware includes dynamic security measures, which may prevent supplies with non-HP chips or circuitry from working now or in the future. More at: www.hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies.

So it looks like it is your software/firmware which has blocked the use on non genuine cartridges.

Is there any way of turning this off!!

Wossp

HP Recommended

@Wossp

It looks like you were interacting with sandytechy20, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 

I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service. 

Appreciate all your time and efforts, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for one on one interaction for further assistance. 

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Step 2. Sign in / sign in as a guest

Step 3. Enter the product number or select to auto detect

Step 4. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 5. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thanks I'll try that, as soon as I have a resolution I'll respond with the answer and mark as solved

HP Recommended

Firstly .... Sandytech2 Thank you very much for your attempt to help

Resolution ?

I called the tech help line,  and I feel it was far easier for them to just say it is a faulty non-genuine cartridge, even though HP website says firmware update will lock the use of non genuine parts.

I’m living at present in France and paid 38Euros for the printer, an XL cartridge is 28Euros (genuine) or 20Euros for the non genuine, it is cheaper in the long run for me to throw it in the bin and purchase

a known printer that does not lock out opposition (It comes with a cartridge).

Very disappointed with HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.