Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 3510
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Hello Community! I just got this hand-me-down HP3510 all in one printer.  It is connected by USB to my Mac running 10.13 (NOT wireless, my wireless router does not have the connection button).  Printer is turned on and light is on.  It will feed the paper through, look like it is printing, the cartridge carriage makes all the right moves, but it will not print.  Here's what I have tried so far: 

1) checked ink — both cartridges are original HP, appear in system, and are over half full

2) Restarted computer, printer, etc. Re-installed driver

3) Hard restart of printer by unplugging, waiting, plugging in

4) Searching this forum — only answers are for Windows

5) HP Chatbot

6) Aligning cartridges, printing diagnostic page, printing test page (none of these actually print)

Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Try a new black cartridge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Thank you for answering, but I am not going to pay $40 for a new black cartridge when the one I have is more than half full. They are original HP cartridges, and I have removed and reinstalled them. Surely the reason we pay so much for original cartridges is so that we don't have to throw them away.

Neither colour nor black&white printing works.

I have now tried printing over WiFi too, and that also does the same — sounds like it is printing, but no ink comes out. 

Any other ideas? 

Thanks

HP Recommended

How long was the printer sitting unused?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for trying again! 

It was only unused for about a week. When I took out the cartridges and put them back in, as an early troubleshoot, they still had liquid ink showing. 

Just to be clear, if I knew the problem was a faulty black cartridge, of course I would replace it. But I am afraid I will replace that, and it won't work, and then I'll replace the other, and it won't work, and then I will have well over the value of ink that I could buy a new printer (with new cartridges!) for.

HP Recommended

A simple test would be to touch the printhead(s) to a paper towel & see if there is a solid streak of ink.

HP Recommended

The colour cartridge puts quite a lot of ink on tissue, but the black only a less-wet line. The supply showed it was three-quarters full before, but now shows half full. 

If the black cartridge is malfunctioning, would colour printing still work? 

thanks

HP Recommended

Yes it should just remove the black cartridge.

HP Recommended

Tried, that, same behaviour.  Any more ideas?

HP Recommended

Looks like the printer is bad.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.