Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

deskjet 4160 stopped printing. Flashing orange arrow on front of printer. Tried all troubleshooting tips found on line. Haven't found fix yet. Need help.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

HI,

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps for blinking lights from this document?

Blinking Lights

See if your scenario of blinking lights is listed, and try the troubleshooting steps to resolve it.  Hope this helps!

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up + in the post that helped you. Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with mine. It worked fine with the black cartridge only, installed, (I have no real need for color printing), from new until the black ran out. It sat that way a couple of months.  I finally replaced it with a Dell NextLife cartridge in March, and it worked great for the first couple of documents.  The next time I used it, a couple weeks later, the printer ran very slowly, but printed fine.  I went to use it the other day, 4-5 weeks after the last time, and nothing.  When trying to print all the computer tells me is it's offline, and the orange arrow "Resume" blinks slowly, perhaps half as fast as when there's no paper in it. 

I went through the linked page but most of the information does not apply - I get no error message as to why it's offline to tell me what to check; and there is no means to align the cartridge either.  Cleaning and repeated reinstalls do not help.  Cartdige has ink in it. 

Kicker on this is I didn't even use the printer for 12-18 months after getting it with the computer package - my old printer had ink left so I used it until it ran out.  It's had very little use, this was the first time needing to replace a cartridge.  And I chose the nextlife because I feel $25 is a ridiculous price for a replacement; were it more like $10 I would have bought a real, new HP cartridge.   Particularly since most of it seem to go to waste when if I print two dozen documents in a year, that's a lot. 

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem. Resume light blinks slowly. I have tried all troubleshooting steps. Test print works. No error messages. I could also use some help.

HP Recommended

@CaptainTJ wrote:

HI,

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps for blinking lights from this document?

Blinking Lights

See if your scenario of blinking lights is listed, and try the troubleshooting steps to resolve it.  Hope this helps!

Looked at your blinking lights troubleshooting guide.  I have no error messages listed on the computer, and the printer is listed as "off line".  Resume light flashes very slowly. 3 sec on, 3 sec off.

HP Recommended

After hours of restarting my printer, disconnecting and reconnecting the cable, and cleaning the inside, I found why I couldn't print!  Like others here, the yellow arrow kept blinking and no document would print.  It turned out that my color cartridge was empty.  I just took out the color cartridge and voila! the printer did some clicking and resetting, then the arrow stopped blinking and I could print in black :TongueOut: I hope this fixes anyone else experiencing the never ending yellow arrow flash.

HP Recommended

the yellow light of my deskjet4160 is flashing

HP Recommended

Hello wulipayout,

Even though you are not receiving any errors (except the blinking light), I recommend troubleshooting the issue using the linked article below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01087772

🙂 If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

my power button (light #1) and the resume arrow light (#4) are both blinking. I followed the troubleshooting steps of unplugging everything for more than 15 seconds but it did not work. Any suggestions? HP Deskjet D4160

HP Recommended

I have taken the color cartridge out. The arrow did stop blinking but when I went to print the system was requesting color.

So I am still with out a printer.  Can anyone advise another avenue to attemp?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.