Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi pcwizard,

Yes, I was able to manually move the cartridges to the center of the printer and removed them, then plugged the power back into the printer. Still nothing. All lights were on and not flashing and the printer did not seem to care at all that the cartridges were missing. It didn't even care when I replaced the cartridges and moved them while it was on. And yes, the printer was plugged directly into a wall outlet (actually, I tried it both ways- plugged into the wall, and through the surge protector it is usually plugged into).

Thank you for the link, but I am sorry to say I am in no way, shape, or form interested in a new Deskjet printer- or anything else- from HP. I have had bad experiences with every HP product I have owned or dealt with over the past 10 years, and do not plan on ever purchasing another HP product.

Thank you for your suggestions and help, however. I appreciate the effort.

HP Recommended

Hi tazpan,

Thank you for the update. Sorry to hear you are having issues with the hardware. If you change your mind I will be more than happy to assist you with finding a replacement printer. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

It worked, and thanks a lot!!

HP Recommended

Hi rhardiniii,

Glad to hear the issue has been resolved. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I tried all these steps and I am still also having the same problem. All the lights are on (not blinking). Removed the ink cartridges, and unplugged the power and USB cable for 2 minutes (power is connected directly to the power outlet) when I plugged everything back in all the lights came back on and stayed on. I've only used this printer a hand full of times. 

HP Recommended

Hi Natalie88,

It appears that you are having a hardware failure with the printer. Follow the steps in the document below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01430567

If you have completed all the steps in the document above, and are still experiencing a problem, service the product.
Determine if your product is in warranty or out of warranty. If you need help determining your product’s warranty status, go to HP’s Warranty Check Tool .

• If your product is in warranty , contact HP.
  • If your product is out of warranty , click here to view low-cost support options.
I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

ive seen that everyone has had the same issue im having right now, i can not find anything that will help me get it solved.  I was in the middle of printing something when my printer stopped all of a sudden.  went unresponsive, and has all the lights on (not blinking) just stays lit.  Power button, all 3 lights under attention, all 3 under copy settings and the light for the black and color area on copies.  I have tried the website to download hp print and scan doctor, but its not helping since printer is unresponsive

HP Recommended

Hi beverly84,

Since you were in the middle of printing when the printer quit responding you will need to open the cartridge access door, and remove all the cartridges from the printer. Remove all paper loaded in the paper tray, and then remove rear access door to inspect the paper path in the printer to make sure there is no paper big or small causing a paper jam. When the print carriage is in the center of the printer where you can remove the cartridges you will need to unplug the power cable from the back of the printer, and then make sure you can manually move the carriage from left to right. You should be able to move it easily without a lot of force. If you are unable to move the cartridge carriage or it fails to move to the center you most likely have a hardware issue with the printer and will need to check the out of warranty link I provided below. Let me know what you find out?

HP Out of Warranty Support Options for Select HP Consumer Printers

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I have tried rebooting system

Unplugging the printer from power surge strip

taking out the ink cartridges.

All of the lights are still on. Power is getting to it. But it's stuck. My hard drive doesn't even recognize it.

Have uninstalled the driver and reinstalled. No change.

Is this printer dead or recoverable?

HP Recommended

Hi Tamsam,

I understand that you have lights showing on the printer but cannot print. I will do my best to help you with this problem. Follow the steps in this document for Errors & lights on the product. If this does not resolve your issue then follow the steps in this document for The HP Printer Won't Turn On or Respond.

I hope this helps, let me know.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.