Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet 200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This printer worked great for the first trip I took it on, but I have not been able to make it work since. I need help with Direct Connect. I use when traveling. I do not want to connect to the hotel WiFi. I want my computer and printer to talk directly. I need the exact steps on how to make that happen. Thank you in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Seahorse-one 

The printer can use "Wi-Fi Direct" to use the wireless card on the printer and connect directly to the computer (no router needed).

Specifications > Connectivity

The setup is explained in the User Guide

Wi-Fi Direct is a toggle setting on the printer control panel - Pages 8-9

How to ...

Chapter 6 - Network Setup - starring on Page 38

More...

Category How to

List includes document:

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet 200 Mobile Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

There is more to the problem, including the community support system making me create two accounts. What a mess.

I already went through all the steps you provided prior to contacting tech support in October of 2019. After an hour on the phone simply could not get the thing to work and gave up. I still have that case number from October.

I never came back to the issue until now. Now the printer won't print period even just on regular Wi-Fi. It says "Ready" you hit Print, and immediately get "Error printer can't print" All the diagnostics say nothing is wrong. No errors found. I need telephone support. Because I waited so long to tackle this issue, the printer is out of warranty. Where can I go to get telephone support for a product out of warranty? Lifetime it's probably printed 10 pages.  Looks like a big waste of money at this point. 

HP Recommended

@Seahorse-two 

@Seahorse-one 

OK - I did not know you were already this far along, that the problem is more complicated than needing instructions, AND you have had a case with HP Technical Support.

I do not work for HP.  Our community cannot access any of your case history or any case details.

I will ask that someone take a look.

Should there be a response from HP, the agent will (should) post back here before using other means to contact you.

I cannot provide a direct phone number - we simply do not have that kind of authorization.  An HP Agent can assume this responsibility.

Yes, I agree that including that out-of-warranty support is generally more difficult and is usually provided at your cost.

In fact, all service is slower than normal - the recent overwhelming numbers of those asking for help here on the Community and by those contacting HP Tech Support have severely stretched resources.  We appreciate everyone's patience.

Please don't post your case number on the Community, though do keep it on hand.  Thanks.

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.