Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have same problem with a C410 photosmart premium all-in-one. Have tried threading the ribbon through the cartridge, can't even do that never mind see where the ribbon ends fasten onto.

I will have to enquire about a repair, but I am guessing it will cost more to repair than replace. It won't be an HP again, that's for sure.

HP Recommended

@bluefifer wrote:

I have same problem with a C410 photosmart premium all-in-one. Have tried threading the ribbon through the cartridge, can't even do that never mind see where the ribbon ends fasten onto.

I will have to enquire about a repair, but I am guessing it will cost more to repair than replace. It won't be an HP again, that's for sure.

The pictures in this post may help.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hello there,

I had the same problem with my HP 6500 ribbon (had a split at the smily face end,that is fixed) and I've foolwed all the steps you provided.

Thank you so much for that

Now after reconecting the ribbon when I power the printer I get this message "Papper Jam: clear jam and then press OK. "

Can you tell what is wrong there ?

HP Recommended

Hi, I have found the solution . 

If the after fixin de ribbon back in place the printer gives you some kind of paper error and the carriage crashes to the left is just because the optical sensor of the carriage dose not read the ribbon properly. You can test it by removing the ribbon completly of the printer and turning it on. You will notice the same error and  behaviur.

So when you introduce the ribbon trough the carriage, half the way you will notice a slight resistance. You must go trough this point of resistance. If you go trough the carriage without any resistance then the ribbon is not going trough the sensor properly. Is better to remove the cartriges and the stand to help you go trough the last hole.

Then the carriage moves smootly and the paper error dissapears.

Excuse my bad english.

Ask for further explanations if this is not clear enough.

Best regards.

Hope it helps.

HP Recommended

@Redtro, is your encoder strip (plastic ribbon) still broke, or are you saying you fixed it?

HP Recommended

I'm afraid I couldn't get the ribbon fed through the cartridge. I have bought a replacement printer, an Epson this time. I would imagine it will break at some point too. Someone needs to take the manufacturers to task for the obselescence factor built into these things.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I performed the steps in your fix to reconnect the encoder strip on my printer (just broke yesterday - had to tape an end).  Got it hooked back on, moving freely.  When I turn the printer on, it gives me a paper jam error and the carriage slams hard to the left.  Any advice you can give me is appreciated!

HP Recommended

@ries2 wrote:

Hi,

I performed the steps in your fix to reconnect the encoder strip on my printer (just broke yesterday - had to tape an end).  Got it hooked back on, moving freely.  When I turn the printer on, it gives me a paper jam error and the carriage slams hard to the left.  Any advice you can give me is appreciated!

The most likely case here would be the encoder strip is not properly threaded between the  tabs on the encoder.  In this case rethreading the strip would resolve the problem.  It needs to go through the carriage without any deflection, roughly centered in the rectangular slot.

It is also possible the encoder has been scratched and the fine lines used for positioning have been worn off.  You might be able to see the lines with a strong magnifier and inspect for damage.  This would require replacement.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I inspected the ribbon and it appears that my tape fix has slipped and the ribbon isn't as tight as it should be.  I don't think I will be able to salvage it.  Is this part still going for $100?   I am not sure what to google to find it.

Also, is there a way to get the scanner to work without the strip?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@ries2 wrote:

I inspected the ribbon and it appears that my tape fix has slipped and the ribbon isn't as tight as it should be.  I don't think I will be able to salvage it.  Is this part still going for $100?   I am not sure what to google to find it.

Also, is there a way to get the scanner to work without the strip?

Thanks!

What printer model? 

Likely if the encoder strip is not installed the printer will fail initialization.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.