Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Our HP Officejet 6500 All-in-one's display screen has been slowly dissolving over the past month. We bought it a year and a half ago, so it's out of warentee. When we fax, we can't read the number we entered. Any information needed on the display screen is unavailable to us. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Or is it just a built-in-obsolescence lost cause?

Thanks for  reading,

naomi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Step 1: Use flat head screw driver to remove cover plate.

Step 1 - Use flat head screw driver to remove cover plate

03.jpeg

Step 2: Remove two black torx screws on left and right side under cover plate.  I had no torx bits at my clients house, so I used a small flat head precision screw driver.  For the left screw, you will need to lift the cover over the paper feeder.

Step 3: Using the flat head screw driver you used for detaching the face plate, press the tabs in to remove the control panel.  There are 3 (or 4? don't remember now) tabs to unlatch.

05.jpeg

06.jpeg

Step 5: Remove the control panel from the tray it's sitting in.

07.jpeg

Step 6: Remove the ribbon cable from the control panel.  Just pull it straight out.  there are no locking tabs.  Be gentle, but not a wimp.  It will survive.

08.jpeg

Step 7:  Remove the 6 silver torx screws (a little smaller than the black ones) from the back of the control panel.  Again, I used a smaller precision flat head screw driver and it worked just fine.  Once these 6 screws are out, the Circuit Board (with LCD Attached) will come right off.   No prying, just lift the opposite side of from the tabs and pull away.

09.jpeg

Step 8: Prepare and know your board.  Place the circuit board LCD up (for lack of a better description) minding the ribbon cable port on the back.  Be sure it hangs off the edge of whatever surface you put it on as we'll be putting A LOT of force on this piece.

10.jpeg

11.jpeg

Please excuse the dirtiness... not my house... At my clients house.

Step 9:  Release the LCD from the tray it sits in.  The is held in with some very weak adhesive tape.  Very thin pieces on the left and right side.  I don't recommend using the screwdrivers with this.  Just use your fingers and some patience and let the LCD come up with light force.  It took 30 seconds for me to get this out of that tray.  Long time when there's a screwdriver sitting right next to you that you could just grab and shove under it.

12.jpeg

Step 10: Onto flat head screwdriver number four... Take the tip of the screwdriver and press down on the ribbon cable that's attached to the LCD right on the edge of the circuit board.  The move down a millimeter or two and press again.  Another mm or two and press again.  Go allllllll the way down the strip and press.  I repeat: PRESS!! DO NOT DRAG.  If you drag, you will rip the ribbon cable.  Also, do not get to close to the edge of the board as you might slip and go straight through the ribbon cable (as I did when I was getting impatient 1/4 the way through).  EXTREME PATIENCE is needed for this process, otherwise it'll be a huge waste of your time.

13.jpeg

14.jpeg

Not a redundant pic.  Show the difference in moving the screw driver to a different spot but on the same pins.

NOTE: Got about half way through and wanted to see the difference.  Before I started, my client had 6... yes only SIX vertical sets of pixels display on the LCD (out of the 80 total vertical sets for the display, 16 sets of 5).  I reconnected the ribbon cable to the circuit board and plugged the power into the printer.  WAHOO!! I can see something actually legible!!  So I disconnected the power, removed the ribbon cable, and kept going on the rest of the pins.

15.jpeg

After pushing down the rest of the pins, I ended up with something that was FAR more readable than what I started with.  There was ZERO that could be read on the screen before.  No I'm getting somewhere.

16.jpeg

Could still be better though....

Step 11:  That a pencil of some sort with a hard erase on it.  If it's too soft it won't do enough.  As you did with the flat head screw driver, press on the pins with the eraser firmly.  I was pressing hard enough to compress the eraser down quite a bit.  Figured, "What do I have to lose. If I destroy it, I'll just tell the client there was nothing I could do."  😛

17.jpeg

18.jpeg

Again, use patience and work down a few pins at a time so that each one ends up getting pressed down twice.

NOTE:  After doing that, I hooked the circuit board back up to the printer just to see the difference:

19.jpeg

YES!  TOTALLY usable now!  Not perfect!  But still way better than having to chuck the printer or not read the screen AT ALL!!!

Step 12: Put it all back together.  Look at the early steps if you forget how.  The screen was even better once I got it all back together.

20.jpeg

I hope this helps!!! Totally had no idea this would work, which is why I don't have pictures of what it looked like before... But trust me... there were literally only 6 visible vertical sets of pixels on the screen.  Could absolutely read nothing.  My client was completely satisfied with using it like this because she could actually make out what was on the screen.

The reason I even looked into this was because she told me that it was getting worse... ALL of the HP recommendations from their (this) site says to unplug power, press # 6, blah blah blah.  That's BS.  If there's a progressive problem like that, it is 100% always going to be a physical issue.  NOT a chip issue (which is what they were trying to imply by having the system power cycled.  Basically, their resolutions meant: "We haven't the SLIGHTEST clue as to why this is happening.

I know exactly why it's happening.  Go pretend to change the ink cartridge.  Lift up the top cover (not the scanner bed cover, the whole top cover).  Ok, now close it.  You get to about an inch before it closes all the way and BOOM!  Something lets go in the prop-up mechanism and it slams down.  Well with that going on a number of times with paper jams getting cleared and whatever else, the LCD ribbon membrane which is literally a piece of adhesive ribbon cable slowly starts to get disconnected over time.  Which is why ALL of you experience it getting worse and worse.

Again, this isn't a full proof solution, but it prevents having to toss out a perfectly "printing and scanning" system.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Thanks,

Paul

PCFixerGuy.com

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.... makes the unit kinda useless for a lot of stuff... sigh.. and only over a year old too.....  HP are you listening???   Any solutions that won't cost me more than a NEW unit???

HP Recommended

see that there are two other posts where the display screen on the Officejet 6500 is going out after just over a year.  What can be done about it.  How do we get our message to HP?

thank you

HP Recommended

Same problem here, have you guys been contacted by HP representatives or do they just get our money for their crappy designs?

HP Recommended

Same problem as the above. Control panel fading, about 60% gone and 6 months out of warranty. I haven't heard anything from HP concerning this problem.

HP Recommended

My display is starting to "dissolve" as only some pixels are missing.  The missing portions (there are about four) appear in a straight line from top to bottom.  To describe:

1. the far right portion of the "g" in "Aug" is missing;
  2. most of the second #1 in the year is missing;
  3. the left portion of the two-digit hour is missing, and;
  4. the center of the "a" in the "am" designation is missing.

OK, HP, what is wrong and how can this be fixed?

HP Recommended

Same happened to my wife's 6500A just after it went out of warranty!  Called HP and they were no help at all. I see they replaced the VIEWER on their newer models, but that doesn't help us!!!!!!!!:mansad:

HP Recommended

Mine, too.  😞

About one third of the screen is now always blank.  Difficult to see what the screen is displaying.

If you know the IP address, you can type it into the browser and view information.

You can also do this by opening the HP Solution Center, then select Settings, then Network Settings.

Has anyone had luck getting HP to replace/repair?

HP Recommended

Me too. I have two of the officejet  wireless 6500's, one here, one at the office. At about 8 months the displays began to be incomplete, parts of letters and numbers dropping out. Now two years, the older of the two is not readable at all, and the newer, barely, and fading fast. I should have contacted them immediately, but I guess I figured I could make do, and that they would never replace the whole machine. I wish I'd done something though.

But, also, with both machines showing the same deteriorating displays, I suppose I thought it was universal, and replacement machine would have same future.

I spoke to HP just now, and the tech said he had no formal notices of any programs to assist out of warranty customers in any solution, or any programs to discount replacement printers,  or even that the problem was widespread.   As I said, both of my officejet 6500 wireless's have same problem

HP Recommended
I agree just posted to my face book page that even though I would like to buy a all in one printer from them, my faith in them is totally shaken in the help given to this problem!!!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.