Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp envy 5530
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I signed up for instant ink a few months ago even though I go through phases where I print very little. My credit card expired ( I was sent the new one) so HP could not charge me.  Today I went to print and the page that came out was like a color test page that printed over what was supposed to print.  I tried to reprint and printer would not respond. I last printed something a few days ago in a hurry and remember some sort of message that my printing would be blocked soon. I have lots of ink left and only printed 6 pages int the past month.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

To answer my own question: Yes, Instant ink DOES block your ability to print unless you pay every month.   It makes no difference if the ink cartriges they sent are full- I makes no difference if you have unused ink cartriges in the packaging- if they were sent to you by instant ink and you are not paying monthly, Toss them in the trash.  There is no workaround.  You MUST GO TO THE STORE AND BUY NEW CARTRIGES IN ORDER FOR YOUR PRINTER TO PRINT AS HP "SEIZES" your printer.

I truly reget signing up for it.  My printer has never worked properly ever since. Wireless printing does not work at all, and 8 out of 10 times it does not wotk with USB plugged in. It says "printer is offline" or "printer can not be found". 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

If HP could not charge your credit card, your Instant Ink account is suspended for non payment.   Your cartridges will not work.   To get around this, just go buy some regular cartridge at your local store. 

HP Recommended
This is THE BIGGEST RIPOFF. After paying $3 mo for over 2 years I finally received ONE color cartridge, no black cartridge, and, when I cancelled I was told that the cartridge would no longer work after the billing period ended in one week. So, $80 thrown out unless I remain hostage for approximately another 2 years (the length of time ity will take me before I need a new one), by which time I will probably need a new printer, anyway. RECOMMEND THAT YOU GET OUT BEFORE YOU THROW AWAY MORE MONEY.
HP Recommended

@Ershar11 wrote:
This is THE BIGGEST RIPOFF. After paying $3 mo for over 2 years I finally received ONE color cartridge, no black cartridge, and, when I cancelled I was told that the cartridge would no longer work after the billing period ended in one week. So, $80 thrown out unless I remain hostage for approximately another 2 years (the length of time ity will take me before I need a new one), by which time I will probably need a new printer, anyway. RECOMMEND THAT YOU GET OUT BEFORE YOU THROW AWAY MORE MONEY.

This is an old thread, by anyway... did you ever run out of ink?

HP Recommended
Can someone please explain to me why I have to pay anything to print? I’ve never bought a printer that charges you monthly to print.
HP Recommended

@AZsLisa wrote:
Can someone please explain to me why I have to pay anything to print? I’ve never bought a printer that charges you monthly to print.

You don't.  Only if you enroll in Instant Ink.  Otherwise just buy your cartridges at your local store.

HP Recommended
Oh ok thank you. With the set up it seemed like it was mandatory. Thank you! I’ll keep the printer now
HP Recommended

To answer my own question: Yes, Instant ink DOES block your ability to print unless you pay every month.   It makes no difference if the ink cartriges they sent are full- I makes no difference if you have unused ink cartriges in the packaging- if they were sent to you by instant ink and you are not paying monthly, Toss them in the trash.  There is no workaround.  You MUST GO TO THE STORE AND BUY NEW CARTRIGES IN ORDER FOR YOUR PRINTER TO PRINT AS HP "SEIZES" your printer.

I truly reget signing up for it.  My printer has never worked properly ever since. Wireless printing does not work at all, and 8 out of 10 times it does not wotk with USB plugged in. It says "printer is offline" or "printer can not be found". 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.