Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1
9 7 0 2
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does latest firmware update include "ink" ransome code agsain ?

pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I see i need to update my printer firmware due to a security vulnerability. Last time HP sneakily included ransome code in the update which a year later stopped me using affordable ink. 

Am i safe to update - or is the risk of more ransome greater than the vulnerability risk ?

I note HP have never aplogised for including ransome code or said they will not do it again.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,390 2,242
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Frustrated20161,

Thank you for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums! I see from your post that you need information and assistance related to HP OfficeJet printer. Don't worry I'll be delighted to assist you with this.

After reviewing your post thoroughly, I see you have a concern related to recent security update: HP is aware of the recent security update, HP has updates available for download to address the vulnerability. 

Details and more information are available in this link: SUPPORT COMMUNICATION- SECURITY BULLETIN

HP has provided firmware updates for impacted printers, you go to the HP Software and Drivers page for your product and find the firmware update from the list of available software.

To know how to update the printer firmware, please go through this link: HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than glad to assist you.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 1
9 7 0 2
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. It would be really helpful if you could answer the question. Let me be VERY clear - Have you embedded any code into this update which will affect my ability to use non HP inks or any code which is detremental to me as an owner ?

This is something you have done in the past - it is known as "ransom" code.Your answer is either 

YES we have, or

NO, this time we havent

HP is no longer a trusted supplier and answering this question may help you restotre trust.

Thank you

Tags (1)
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,390 2,242
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Frustrated20161,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

As I understand you have a concern regarding the ransome code, this time HP has not released any code which should affect your printer from printing.

Two security vulnerabilities have been identified with certain HP Inkjet printers. A maliciously crafted file sent to an affected device can cause a stack or static buffer overflow, which could allow remote code execution. But this is nothing do with third party Ink cartridges, For more information, please go through this Security Bulletin.

In the past there was a firmware update which was released to remove the dynamic security feature.

HP recommends that you use genuine HP ink or toner supplies. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP or refilled cartridges. If you do not use genuine HP cartridges, the steps in this document might not resolve the issue. To check the authenticity of your cartridges, go to hp.com/go/anticounterfeit.

If you would like to remove the dynamic security feature, go to the Software and Drivers Downloads page for your printer to install the latest firmware version. See HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware (in English) for more details. HP recommends you keep your firmware up to date for best results.

For more information, please go through this link: HP Inkjet Printers - Dynamic Security Feature Affecting Cartridges Using Non-HP Security Chip

I hope this answers your question and do let me know if you need any further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation