Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6968
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My former printer had an option to print in 'Black ink only'.  When copying a page/document, the screen on the printer allows the 'black ink only' option, but the 'pop up' window when printing an email, for instance, doesn't have that option. 

Most of my printing requires only a black/white image or text.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Microsoft keeps changing the icon in the lower left, I still call it the start button.  As for the rest I should have said type "devices and printers" without the quotes, that would bring up the proper place in the list.  I do not have an Officejet Pro 6968 so I wnet pbased on the printer I do have installed, it sounds like they moved the black ink only option one step up in the menu tree to be more accessible.

Please mark this as solved, it will help others looking for a solution to a similar issue find the answer. 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You can set the default printer settings in the driver as follows:  click start, devices and printers.  Right click on the Officejet 6968 and select Printing Preferences.  Click on the Paper/Quality tab, Advanced, Print in Grayscale, Black Ink Only, OK, Apply, OK.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Close enough for me to follow.  There isn't a 'Start' button anymore in Windows 10, but went up from the 'window' straight to the 'settings' button where I found 'Devices' where I found 'Printers & scanners'. There I found my printer, printer properties, etc.  Then later the 'Print in Greyscale, Black Ink Only' was listed under the 'Paper/Quality' tab, not the 'Advanced' tab.  Anyway, you got me headed in the right direction so solve my problem. 

Thanks, Bob

HP Recommended

Microsoft keeps changing the icon in the lower left, I still call it the start button.  As for the rest I should have said type "devices and printers" without the quotes, that would bring up the proper place in the list.  I do not have an Officejet Pro 6968 so I wnet pbased on the printer I do have installed, it sounds like they moved the black ink only option one step up in the menu tree to be more accessible.

Please mark this as solved, it will help others looking for a solution to a similar issue find the answer. 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.