Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8710
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

This printer - a couple of months old - is occasionally printing pages with a double image. One image is slightly offset from the other. I printed a 2-page document where the first page was fine but the second page had a double image. When it happens is unpredictable. The printer can print fine for several pages and then a double image.

Below is an example.

What is a possible fix?

A.jpeg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@GaryDickson,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support community!

• Do you have this issue while making a copy?

Let's try these steps:

Step 1: Power Reset

• Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector.
  • Turn the printer on.
  • Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. Wait at least 60 seconds
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  • Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  • Try to print again, if the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Perform Printer Alignment

• On the control panel of your printer, touch settings icon  > Printer Maintainance > Align Printer
  • Once the alignment is completed try to print again, if the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Step 3: Printer Firmware Update.

• On the control panel of your printer, touch settings icon  > Printer Maintainance > Update the Printer > Check for printer updates now
  • This will install a newer firmware update if available
  • Try to print again

Let me know if this helps or if you need any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “KudosThumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I put the printer through "Step 1: Power Reset" and then printed. The printout was good. I printed two other short documents and those were good.

I then worked through Step 2 and Step 3. The alignment printout looked just right and the printer says its firmware is up-to-date.

So far, so good. As I wrote initially, the printer's behaviour of double image happens unpredictably.

I really don't want to have to go through this song-and-dance if this happens again.

Are you confident your solution is a permanent fix?

HP Recommended

@GaryDickson,

The alignment, reset and update should take care of the problem.

But should you need any further help, keep me posted, I shall help you.

Cheers!

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, the problem of double image printing is happening again. It's not occurring as frequently - maybe once in awhile - but it's still happening.

Is HP considering a repair to the printer's firmware or software?

HP Recommended

@GaryDickson,

We have tried most of the possible troubleshooting steps for this issue.

But as a last resort, we can try performing a factory reset on the printer

Factory reset settings of a printer differ from one printer model to another.

I will send you a private message that would have the steps to reset your printer to the factory settings.

Note: Resetting the printer to the factory settings would erase all configurations like your Wireless settings, Fax settings, and other preferences.

You have to re-do the set up again once you perform the factory reset.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.