AncientRoy
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Driver for HP DeskJet 500 printer

HP DeskJet 500 Printer
Microsoft Windows XP

I have recently acquired a second hand Windows XP computer, similar to one I had some years ago. I have found my driver for this printer but it is on a 5 1/4 inch floppy disk which I can no longer read. I don't seem to be getting any where with HP support, other than going round in circles and I can't even find a chat room to discuss it. Is there anyone out there who could email me a copy of the driver for this printer? Thanks for your time reading this. I have spent nearly all week trying to resolve this problem.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9,855 9,844 922 1,531
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @AncientRoy - Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Forum! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I understand that you are looking for  Windows XP drivers for Deskjet 500 printer series. I'd be glad to be of your assistance 🙂

Connect the printer to the PC using the USB cable and click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software10/dj9005/dj9005url/dj9005cd to download and install the printer on your PC.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
AncientRoy
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately I did not get past the first step as I do not have a USB connector for the Deskjet 500, only a parrallel connection. I did try to access the web address provided and it downloaded  what looked like a text file. I hope to be able to spend some more time on it tomorrow, Wednesday! 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19,621 19,609 1,295 1,960
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @AncientRoy

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @Dvortex, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I recommend you to select parallel port instead of USB if the printer is connected to the parallel port of the computer and check whether you are able to install the printer.

Let me know how it goes.

Take care.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
AncientRoy
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello The_Fossette,

When I try to run the driver (hp deskjet 500 printer.driver.exe) I get the message 'Product configuration is missing!

AncientRoy

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19,621 19,609 1,295 1,960
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @AncientRoy

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
AncientRoy
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi The Fossette,

I received an email within the four days with a telephone number, but when I rang it I was directed to a support website which was also mentioned in the email. The website asked for product description which when supplied was not recognised because it was an old product. I re-entered product description, product code, serial nuimber as before and continued going round in circles as before getting nowhere again. Oh for a real person or chat contact to deal with!

Best wishes

AncientRoy

0 Kudos
AncientRoy
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is now more than 12 months since my last contact, during which time I have had no success in getting mhy printer working. If I have had no success by the end of next month, I shall have no option but to take my deskjet 500n to0 the local tip!

Thank you to all those who have tried to help. God bless you all!

AncientRoy

(now even more ancient!!!)

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation