Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy Photo 6255
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer wouldn't print yesterday after two years of printing fine. I printed to it from another computer in the house and it printed fine so I know the problem isn't in the printer.  I looked in the control panel and my printer was not there.  So I downloaded the most recent software from the HP web site and it still wouldn't print.  Now the printer shows in the control panel but when I click on it it says driver is unavailable.  I tried using the HP Smart app but it can't solve the problem either.  It sends me back to Windows and wants windows to install the driver.  I uninstalled everything and then used the Windows add a printer function.  Still get driver unavailable.

Any ideas on how to solve this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Let's create a local account and try installing the driver there: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@jpattison124

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Betty, thanks for taking the time to send e that checklist.  I ran through that and chose the basic drivers from the web page you linked.  Sadly, it failed (I had tried those same drivers earlier).  The error I got was that the device was unable to be installed over the network.  However, if I type the ip address of the printer into my browser I can get the printer's response and can scan documents using the printer's web page.  Also, the printer is back in Devices and Printers but still says driver is unavailable.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Jim

HP Recommended

Betty, after that failed attempt I ran through the list again and then tried HP smart which also said it couldn't do the job and wanted me to use Windows to install the printer.  I have tried that before and it also failed.  HP Smart can scan though and after the aborted install the printer is back in devices and printers still saying driver is unavailable.  Another thing I tried that didn't work was running the installer as administrator.

In the printui step there is HP E print driver in the drivers.  I tried to uninstall that but it wouldn't do it.  Said that driver was being used

Jim

HP Recommended

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)

2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right-click the printer and left-click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.

3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.

4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty,

Printer properties is not in the menu that pops up when you right click on the printer.  Likewise set as default printer isn't there.

Thanks again for trying to help

Jim

HP Recommended

I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Betty

The install new printer function in devices and printers failed to find the printer so I gave it the IP address and then it started to create an ip port and then it popped up an error that says:

Print Driver not Installed

Element not found

Jim

HP Recommended

Restart your Computer and try again. Do you have any other Computer that you can try installing the software on to check if its happening with all devices?

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I thought I replied to this before.

Anyway.  Restart didn't do anything.

Other computers in the house print just fine.  No issues.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.