• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dye sublimation printer

Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Does HP make a dye sublimation printer.  I want to buy one but I have never owned anything other than a HP.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 6
Level 6
509 509 24 66
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dye sublimation printer

Hi Mama_K

Warm Greetings...

Currently, HP doesn't have any dye sublimation printer.  Our team is working on in the future.  Thank you for being a  loyal customer to HP and we look forward to assisting you further on any issues you have on your printer. 

Regards

Aneesh 

Though I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
Level 3
68 68 0 9
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dye sublimation printer

Hello @Mamma_K,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forum and for being a loyal HP customer.  Thanks to @aneeshnair for  answering your inquiry.  I was curious about your need for a dye sublimation printer.  If it's not for achival or conservation purposes, you may want to consider some other printers as recent articles mention the significant improvements in inkjet printing.  See this excerpt from the Wiki article:

"Traditionally, the advantage of dye-sublimation printing has been the fact that it is a continuous-tone technology, where each dot can be any color. In contrast, inkjet printers can vary the location and size of ink droplets, a process called dithering, but each drop of ink is limited to the colors of the inks installed. Consequently, a dye-sublimation printer produces true continuous tones appearing much like a chemical photograph. An inkjet print is composed of droplets of ink layered and scattered to simulate continuous tones, but under magnification the individual droplets can be seen. In the early days of inkjet printing, the large droplets and low resolution made inkjet prints significantly inferior to dye-sublimation, but some of today's inkjets produce extremely high quality prints using microscopic droplets and supplementary ink colors, producing superior color fidelity to dye-sublimation."

See other details in the complete article:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dye-sublimation_printer

See also this very detailed article:  

http://www.getty.edu/conservation/publications_resources/newsletters/22_3/feature.html

The inks in and professional quality of the HP Pagewide printer have received a very positive reception.  Click on this link for more information on this printer:  http://www8.hp.com/us/en/printers/pagewide-business-printers.html.

Click in this link for information about the PageWide Technology:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/pagewide-technology/overview.html

Let me know if you have other questions or require additional information.

I am an HP employee.
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dye sublimation printer

The problem with HP, is that they use a thermal print head in the majority of their printers.

Dye Sublimation is the process of taking an ink from a solid state, to a gas state. After you sublimate a print, you have to set the ink with heat. This process is best acheived with a printer using a piezo electric print head, and not a thermal printhead. A piezo electric printer uses a mechanical motion to throw ink; where-as a thermal printhead uses heat. Do you really want to use heat to throw ink before the sublimation process????? 

Not me.

Mimaki is really the leader with dye sub printers acrosss the entry to mid-dange gamut. The offer 54" all the way up to grand format DTG, which will fit most companies' needs.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation