13 9 1 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

ENVY 5010 prints half letters

ENVY 5010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

jpg.jpgThis is how my ENVY 5010 prints a page. I bought it last April that is less than a year old. I don't use it that often. I might  use it once a month or even less than that.  And i think because i don't use it that much it causes that problem. I cleaned and aligned the cartridges but the problem persists. What else can i do? It connects wireless  to my my windows 10 desktop PC.   

2 REPLIES 2
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9,923 9,926 873 1,046
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi @8844R

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the print quality issue.

To better assist you - 

1) What's the application that you are trying to print from?

2) Are you experiencing this issue while making a copy as well? 

3) Have you tried printing from a different device? 

While you respond to that, try these steps - Print Quality Issues

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
8844R
Level 2
13 9 1 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you. I was text messaging on WhatsApp  with an HP agent who helped me with this problem. I was with him for more than 5 hours. Anyway I'll mention here all the steps i followed to solve this problem.

I removed the black cartridge and gently shook it for some time and installed it back. Once installed I unplugged the printer from the back and left it for 30 seconds. Then I connected it back. Again the problem persisted.

I reset the printer. First I removed both ink cartridges. I closed the cartridge access door and did the following:

1. With the printer turned on I disconnected the power cord from the rear of the printer.

2. I unplugged the power cord from the wall outlet.

3. I waited at least 15 seconds

4. I plugged the power cord back into the wall outlet.

5. I reconnected the power cord to the rear of the printer.

Then I installed the cartridges. I placed a document on the scanner glass. Using the COPY button on the printer, I made a photocopy. It printed out very good. However, when I printed a page from a word processor application it didn't print good. Again the same problem with the half printed letters.

Then I uninstalled the printer software by going to:

All Settings > Applications and Features > HP Smart (I unistalled it)

Then I restarted the computer.

With the printer being turned on

I went to All Settings > Devices > Printers & Scanners and I removed the printer.

Then I reinstalled the printer software.

Again the problem with the half printed letters persisted.

I pressed and held the Windows + R keys from the keyboard and entered “control printers”. Then I clicked on “View devices and printers”. I clicked on the printer and with the right button of the mouse I removed the device. Then I clicked on add printer. I didn't select the printer from the list but I manually added the printer from the option “Add a printer using TCP/IP address. Under the Device Type I selected TCP/IP device and entered the IP address. ( I tapped on the wireless icon of the printer screen to see the IP address)

I checked the “Query printer and automatically select the device to use” option and then I clicked Next. I followed the on-screen instructions to add the printer with the recommended driver.

Still the problem persisted.

Then I installed a new black cartridge and the problem resolved.

I'd like to say the black cartridge I replaced was not empty. Yet that is what I did and the problem with the half printed letters resolved.

Funny enough after all the above another problem appeared. An exclamation mark appeared on the Ink levels on the printer screen. Also the printer status on my HP online instant Ink account appeared to be offline when it was actually online.

From the printer's screen I clicked on Setup > Tools > Restore Factory Defaults.

I reconnected the printer to the wireless network again and Setup Web services again. After this I refreshed the online account by signing out and in again. Problem solved.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation