Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

ENVY 5540 no longer prints color.  No dialog box (Color/Grayscale/B&W) appears in any application.  I have tried at least two suggested solutions in this forum, including re-install the HP drivers, use the Windows 10 driver, re-install the printer using the IP address...no success.  I saw somewhere there was an issue with the HP driver due to a recent Windows 10 update (?).  In any case, does anyone know of a solution (other than investing in a Canon all-in-one printer, which is my next step if I can't find a solution).

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Vaurien_1952 

The setup may vary from printer to printer but basically (for Windows):

(a) Double click printer icon on desktop,
  (b) Click Set Preferences,
  (c) Click Advanced,
  (d) Select "Off" for Print in Grayscale
  (e) Click Ok/Apply ...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I appreciate the reply, but it did not solve my problem.  There is an icon on the desktop for the ENVY 5540.  I assume this is the icon to which you were referring.  Under "Set Preferences"  / "Advanced" there is no "Print in Grayscale" option.  I will attach a screen capture of what is shown under "Advanced."  Am I looking in the wrong place?  

This is mystifying AND very frustrating.  Something has been changed recently, because I know I have been able to print color from applications on this computer in the recent past.  I have heard that possibly the HP drivers are incompatible with something in the latest update of Windows 10?  

Thanks again.Advanced printer properties ENVY 5540.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.