Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
ENVY 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Capture.JPGFor some reason my printer quit working. No idea why. I uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller and reinstalled it. Got the print driver is unavailable message. Then I uninstalled, restarted computer, and reinstalled. Same issue. Then I did everything Betty 1610 said to do to the letter on this page: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/HP-ENVY-5540-Error-Printing/m-p/7262205/highlight/true.... Still got same message. I have never had any problems with this printer and I am very frustrated after working on it myself for about 3 days! When I try to update driver I get the attached message

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, I went back to the new administrator account I created and ran HP Smart and the driver finally installed. Now it says there is no photo paper tray 😞

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, 

I'd suggest you to check if there are any pending Windows 10 Update. If yes, then install them.

Restart the PC. And now try installing the printer software.

If issue still persists, I'd suggest you to use HP SMART APP for Windows 10. Below is the url that should be of help.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142 

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

I did the updates. I ran the Smart App AGAIN!  Got to open device driver and install printer and this is what I got. 

Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

Well, I went back to the new administrator account I created and ran HP Smart and the driver finally installed. Now it says there is no photo paper tray 😞

HP Recommended

Hello, 

Kindly try the below steps that should resolve the issue..

If printer is connected using USB perform the below steps.
go to Control Panel > Devices and Printer > Add a Printer.
in the window displayed, select "Add a local printer with manual settings", and then click NEXT
under "Use an existing port" drop down box "USB001 (Virtual USB Port for USB)" and then click NEXT.
In the next window under "Manufacturer" select HP, and then from right pane, select "HP Envy 5540" and click NEXT.
And then follow the on screen instructions to complete the process.
Now open the document you want to print, under PRINT drop down select the printer that was installed using the above steps. And now click the PRINT button to start to print

If printer is connected using Wireless perform the below steps.
go to Control Panel > Devices and Printer > Add a Printer.
in the window displayed, select "Add a printer using TCP/IP address or host name" and then click NEXT
Select "Create a new port - "Standard TCP/IP port" and then click NEXT
Now type in the printer's IP address under "Hostname or IP address" box, then click on the NEXT button. "Detecting TCP/IP" would start.
After which click the NEXT button and then in the next window under "Manufacturer" select HP, and then from right pane, select "HP Envy 5540" and click NEXT.
And then follow the on screen instructions to complete the process.
Now open the document you want to print, under PRINT drop down select the printer that was installed using the above steps. And now click the PRINT button to start to print

If issue still persists, you might try uninstalling the printer, restart the PC, and then install the software using the http://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

I went back to the administrator account I created and ran Scan Doctor several times. Eventually it started working. Hopefully it will continue! It took 4 days to print one picture!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.