Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
ENVY 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A few days ago I tried to print and my printer would not wake up. The blue network light was still on but other than that it was basically dead. I unplugged it and started it over again, but my laptop (also an HP) didn't recognize it on the network until I shut down the printer (by the power button button) an restarted. That seemed to work... until the next time I tried printing and had the same problem all over again. I googled the problem and found an HP community post that suggested resetting the network. I did that and it seemed to work. Then my laptop wasn't recognizing the printer still and HP Support Assistant said there was updated software to install. I had all sorts of problems with that (a certain folder was saying I needed admin capabilities which I was, had to uninstall, reinstall and go through the whole registration process again. I thought it was ok as it was waking and the laptop was recognizing it as ready and connected... until I just tried using the copier and the printer is stuck in sleep again!

What do I do? I feel like I'm going in circles. I'm afraid to reset the network again in case that's what caused the laptop problems. I'm stuck!!! Any advice? TIA

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

@2talll

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Please ensure the printer has the latest Firmware update. Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Next download and run the HP Print And Scan from this Link: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe 

Run PSDR v5.0.2 

Once the PSDR detects the Printer, it will show up the IP address and Software Status. 

Select the correct Printer and click on Next. 

PSDR will check if the Printer is on the Network and communication between the PC and the Printer. Once the connection check is done, click on Fix Printing 

Once PSDR goes through all checks and automatic fixes, click on Print a test page. 

Regardless if PSDR printed the test page or not, click on “NO PRINT” 

PSDR will then notify you that there is an update available, click on continue, and PSDR will apply the patch and ask for a reboot. 

Post restart the PSDR will run automatically to check for more issue.  If no issue found close PSDR. 

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help!

So I checked the firmware and doing through the printer and doing it manually from the website both said the firmware was up to date.

I ran the Scan Doctor, and at first it said the printer was offline even though the computer had it listed as online and ready, and checked the firmware without a problem. It did say it made some updates though and required a restart. I restarted and again, it said the printer was offline, it did updates and needed a restart.

Second time I restarted it said it made changes and asked to do a test print. When I tried the test print, the eprint dialog box popped up and it asked me to register my computer. I did that whole process and got the below picture saying the validation failed and I was back to the print test print page. It said to try an internal test print, but I hit test print again by accident, BUT it worked that time.  I'm not getting "everything seems to be ok with your printer.

When i first tried printing and it failed, I did click NO PRINT, but it didn't offer any updates, just asked me to try internal test print (whatever that means anyway, lol).

Not sure if it worked or not, sometime the hibernation problem occurs in a couple hours, others more than a day later. i'll keep checking and reply again after to let you know for sure but I wanted to let you know I did try.

IMG_7473.jpgIMG_7472.jpg

HP Recommended

@2talll

Keep me posted if the issue persist we could try assigning a Manual IP Address and check if that helps

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

My 7640 won't print either.   I think it is not compatible with Windows 10 but they are trying to "work around" the problem.  I finally got where oprinter has been installed okay, but it won't print.  When it goes to spooler the file name  just "blips" in the Spooler list then disappears.  I've been trying to get this darn thing to work since March.  I'll get frustrated and have to stop.

If you get it to print, let me know the secret.

HP Recommended

Your reply just reminded me to check, and still have the problem. The blue wifi light is on but the rest of it is "dead" and won't wake from sleep. Control Panel says its working properly, but the device manager says it's offline. I tried running troubleshooter and got an error saying "Contact your network administrator" windows could not fix the problem. I unplugged and plugged back in and am going to play around with the HP Assistant and see what I can find. I just noticed the offline check thing and just ran that- printer driver status is listed as "not detected" but the update button is grayed out. WIndows update status says "not updated" so I'm going to try updating that. ( I SWEAR everytime windows does any sort of update it screws up something- screen freezing, apps on my surface not working without multiple restarts, etc. I bet something updated and isn't compatible.)

The weird thing is that I have instant ink and there's been no emails from HP saying the printer isn't online and it can't check the ink levels like I got a couple weeks ago when it got disconnected from my network while dealing with modem issues. But, my phone can no longer find the printer either- and before following your steps my phone could at least recognize the printer.

Good thing I don't print much anymore! LOL

HP Recommended

Got a new error when troubleshooter started itself again. said the computer cannot connect to the printer through the network and said "not fixed."

HP Recommended

I've had this printer for years, with a Windows 10 laptop and never had any problems until recently. if i unplug and plug it back in, turn off and turn back on it'll print fine. Once it goes into sleep the problem starts all over again. HP Assistant says it online and running  properly but device manager troubleshooting still says it can't connect to printer through network.

HP Recommended

@2talll

Let us assign a static IP address to the printer to resolve this issue:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  • Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • If you get any security notification, click on show details/advanced and 'proceed to this website'.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Note: You may watch this video for a better understanding.

Monitor the printer and let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The HP support assistant actually found a “port match issue” that it fixed so I have to do a reboot to finish that. It also randomly found updates this morning after not finding any updates the last three days, so I’ll try to install those as well. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.