Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8720
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Last week, the message detailed in the subject box above appeared on my iMac screen every time I tried to print a document/photo etc. Printing from my iPad/iPhone was not affected and worked fine. 

I spent half half an hour on the phone with an HP technician. He was excellent; he connected to my iMac remotely and solved the problem which he identified as a software issue. 

For 2 days, the printer worked perfectly. Yesterday the same message appeared and I’m back to square one! 😩

Can anyone help please? 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Sorry, I can't help. But I'd like to add my urgent request for help. The printer had been working fine with multiple Macs, now it's not. ChrisHall is only one of many persons posting about this problem, and it appears to have existed for over 2 months. 

We need a fix. PLEASE

HP Recommended

Maybe I can help.

I have a fix, but I don't know if it is permanent, or even if it was a good idea. HP should comment on this, but here it is.

I went to my M533 and in the menu screen navigated to " Administration–Network – Ethernet – Security–Reset Security–Yes". It seems to be working now.

HP Recommended

We had the same problem with our HP LaserJet 500 on our 3 Macs. Was working last week, then all of a sudden the error message. Tech support steered me to updated the printer firmware and use an Apple driver that I downloaded from the Apple site. Go to the Apple website and search for "hp printers universal print driver". Not sure if it was the firmware update or the driver update, but that fixed the problem. Not sure how much you know about how to do all that, but I'll leave the details out unless you need me to elaborate. Good luck!

HP Recommended

Suggest add printer in the printers dialogue box and on "USE" change from default Airprint to Printer name used. This eliminated the "Encryption Credentials Expired" problem. You can then delete the other instances of the same printer

HP Recommended
Many thanks! This post is now 6 months old and the problem is solved.
HP Recommended

YES!!!  this worked for me. On my HP Officejet Pro 8710 I went into Setup > Network Setup > Reset 802.1X Security and reset it. It's working now!  Woo Hoo!

HP Recommended

Please explain M533--not familiar.  Am having same frustrating problem.  Just installed hp printer software from Apple website.  Still getting "encryption expired" message.

HP Recommended

I believe the M533 was the model of the printer that was being referred to by "Ruppy1". I had a different model printer but I was able to go into the menu on the printer, go into network, and reset the security information (there was a reset option). Once I did that, everything came back to life and I was able to print again.

HP Recommended

The printer has generated an expired server certificate. To resolve this issue please follow the directions outlined in the document "'Encryption Credentials Expired' Error Displays".

URL to document

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06447928

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers.

I am HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.