Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My black ink does not print. I have aligned cartridges. Tried a new HP ink cartridge, Cleaned cartridges, turned printer on and off and it still will not print and when I print a quality diagnostic page, the black ink column is completely empty. Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I tried unplugging and reset for 2 mins and that did not work but I did turn it off overnight and then in the morning it worked. 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hello stcmeo, and welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I see you are having black ink issues. I would like to try and assist with that today!

I would suggest performing a power reset.  Disconnect the power cord from the printer and the power outlet, then wait 60 seconds. After 60 seconds, plug the printer back in. Ensure you plug the printer directly to a wall outlet. Make sure to bypass any sort of surge protector or power bar.

I would also recommend utilizing all the steps in theis document on Troubleshooting Print Quality Issues.

Good luck and please let me know the results of your troubleshooting steps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

I tried unplugging and reset for 2 mins and that did not work but I did turn it off overnight and then in the morning it worked. 

HP Recommended
I'm having exactly the same issue; the black cartridge isn't printing. The print quality diagnostic shows the black box empty. I have carried out your suggestions but to no avail.
HP Recommended

Hi Meted1 , thanks for getting in touch!

I would recommend removing the ink cartridges, and plugging the printer power into a different wall outlet. I'd also make sure it's in a wall outlet and not a power bar or surge protector.  Once it's plugged in, reinsert the cartridges. 

If that doesn't resolve the issue, You can utilize this website to learn how to contact us appropriately, based on your region:

Contact HP Worldwide

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

I have tried all of the above things and it still will not work. It's a brand new black ink cartridge, all levels are full on screen until I print reports, then the black is empty, except for the words in the Prink Quality page, those are strangely black even though the block is empty. 

HP Recommended

I have the same problem but this suggested action did not work for me? I'm all out of options/ideas now!!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem but this suggested action did not work for me? I'm all out of options/ideas now.

HP Recommended

did you notice? there are 3 questions including yours this year and NO answer from HP 

I have the same problem with the same non-result and the same lack of response from HP (worldwide as best I could) I even tried going back to the Customer Service ("?") forum where I bought the machine, with only the response: "call HP" 

it seems that all these machines are reasonably well manufactured and the software (there is no upgradable or accessable firmware, nor power supply, it's built-in) although outsourced, works better than it did years ago (I think HP tests it these days instead of just sweeping it out the door) 

there is one "work-around" as suggested by one HP Customer Service Representative, "buy a new printer" 

it seems a shame to make such a sophisticated piece of equipment as a loss leader, only as many have commented, to sell a miniscule quantity of ink at ridiculously high prices 

I have even tried to find out the difference between the 120e and the 121e and whether the inaccessible firmware (like on smartphones) is regionalized, without an answer 

as "consumers" it seems we are only put on this planet to . . . . consume

HP Recommended
Hi, yes I couldn't find satisfactory responses to any similar posts and as the printer is just out of warranty HP are not interested in helping although more than happy to flog you another printer! I have had to buy a new one but out of principle not HP - there is clearly a problem with this device and warranty or not it's not fit for purpose and HP should do more to resolve it and if they can't they should replace it. HP your customers deserve better.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.