Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I use this printer with 4 desktop computers, 2 MACbooks, 2 iPads and 2 iPhones in my home. It has worked fine for years, without issue. Now, on 2 of the desktop WIndows 10/ 64 bit computers it has begun to print only the top quarter of the page and then stop.

I have tried this with Word docuements, PDFs and jpegs, all with the same result.

I have uninstalled, completely, including registry deletions, all HP software and drivers.

I have reinstalled Windows 10 on one of the computers as well.

With a fresh install of he HP software, I still have the same problem.

The drivers for the printer are all current.

Here's the weird part: both computers SEE the printer!!

I can bring the printer up and see it's IP address, MAC address, etc.

Also, I can print fine from the other desktop computer, also Windows 10/ 64 bit and the iPhone apps.

Anyone out there have any ideas??

I'm very computer and network savvy and this one has me stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@puttandpray Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the printer prints half a page and gives an error message.

Please let me know what is the exact error message you are getting.

Are you able to make a copy without any issue?

Please perform the printer hard reset and check.

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on. 

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue. 

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer. 

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. 

5. Wait at least 60 seconds. 

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet. 

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer. 

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on. 

9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed

Please use the steps below, if the issue persists after this solution, I will gladly return with another plan of action.

In the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder

2. Choose ‘Print server properties’.

• Win XP – With no printer selected, click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
  • Windows Vista – With no printer selected, press ‘Alt’ then click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
  • Windows 7/8 and 8.1 – Select any printer in the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder and click ‘Print Server Properties’ above.

3. Click on the ‘Drivers’ tab at the top of ‘Print server properties’ window

4. Choose the printer you want to uninstall and click ‘Remove’

5. Choose 'Remove driver only'

6. The next screen will give a warning, letting you know that deleting the driver package will remove it from the system. Click ‘Yes’ to say that you are sure you want to do this.

If documents are stuck in the print spooler, you may see an error, cancel any documents pending in the print queue, or try restarting the print spooler, then try to remove the driver from ‘Print server properties’ again. If it still won’t remove the package, restarting the computer and the printer should resolve this ‘in use’ error and allow the driver to be removed.

After the driver is removed, open Start > All Programs > HP folder > Printer folder > HP Setup and Software (or the printer icon).

The Setup and software screen will open and you can click on Connect a new printer.

Please let me know the outcome of these solutions. If the issue persists we will work together to see this through. Thanks.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the assistance.

Unfortunately, I have already tried you remedy with no solution.

However, for the sack of trying to find a solution I followed your steps exactly.

I was able to uninstall the drivers and the printer, reinstall the HP software, see the printer and configure it automatically on my computer.

However, when  attempted to print, the HP software simply displayed an "error printing, printing could not be completed" message. I have a screen capture of the printer status window displaying this same message, which I have attached..

This time, nothing will print, not even 1/4 page.

Printing Error.JPG Any other thoughts??

HP Recommended

@puttandpray

Are you experiencing this while making a copy as well? 

Let's try these steps -

1) Take out the cartridges.

2) Unplug the power cord from the printer & wall.

3) Wait for 30 seconds. 

4) Plug the power cord back into the printer and wall, ensure the printer is plugged into the wall & not to a surge protector.

5) Insert the cartridges back into the printer.

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm sorry, that doesn't work.

Please note that the printer works fine on another desktop computer, a laptop and from my iPhone and iPad.

The problem is not a physical issue with the printer, but something in the drivers or communication between the 2 devices.

HP Recommended

@puttandpray

Try adding built-in driver - HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

1. Uninstalled ALL HP software and drivers.

2. Removed the HP Envy 4500 printer.

3. Removed all HP drivers.... ALL HP drivers.

4. Went into regedit and removed ALL HP registry entries. I mean, literally hundreds of entries.

5. Disconnected the printer from WiFi.

6. Pulled the power cord from the printer while it was powered on.

7. Removed the printer cartridges.

8. Reinstalled the cartridges and power cord.

9. Reinstalled the printer on the computer, downloaded the latest HP software from the support site and installed.

10. Powered the printer back on and checked its firmware. It is the latest.

11. Installed the printer in Windows 10 using the installation wizard.

Printed a test sheet and the printer showed the same error message it had previously.

Nothing has changed except I have now lost 2 hours of my life that I won't get back.

Any other "suggestions" before the printer goes the way of of the Dodo?

HP Recommended

@puttandpray

I understand your concern. A printer and its drivers working fine on other devices is proof that there is nothing wrong with HP printers and drivers. This could be an OS related issue too. We may have to isolate the issue further before we come to a conclusion.

Have you tried adding built-in driver - HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

If the issue persists, create a new user account on your computer and then install the printer. Here is how you do it-

1. Tap the Windows icon.

2. Select Settings.

3. Tap Accounts.

4. Select Family & other users.

5. Tap "Add someone else to this PC."

6. Select "I don't have this person's sign-in information."

7. Select "Add a user without a Microsoft account."

8. Enter a username, type the account's password twice, enter a clue and select Next.

9. Tap the Windows icon.

10. Select the User icon at the upper left corner of the Start menu.

11. Select the new user. You'll then sign in to your account with your password from step 8.\

12. Install the printer and try printing.

Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the input but the response is still the same.

"error printing, print cancelled".

HP Recommended

@puttandpray

I appreciate your efforts. Try running the sfc scan. Here is how you do it-

• In the search box on the taskbar, type Command Prompt, and right-click or press and hold Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the list of results. Select Run as administrator, and then select Yes.
  • Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the space before each "/"), and then press Enter. (Note: This step may take a few minutes to start and up to 30 minutes to complete.)
  • After you see a message that says "The operation completed successfully," type sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/") and press Enter.
  • After you see a message that says, "Verification 100% complete," type exit.

If the issue persists, you can reinstall the OS.

At any given point if you need remote assistance, reach out to the HP Support in your region.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.