Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

When I print test page from the printer directly, it only prints the color boxes, no text, and the color is faint. 

When I print from windows, it says only "windows printer test page" with a printer icon, in blue. Nothing else. 

When I clean the cartridges, it only prints cyan lines, except for a red "important" with an arrow.

When I clicked print from the black ink level menu on the printer, it printed 4 black brackets, 1 was empty, 1 had 3 bold lines of cyan, yellow and magenta. Nothing else. 

Yes, it is genuine HP Ink. 

Yes, I've tried resetting, removing the cartridges and then resetting, as well as the obvious stuff like cleaning the heads/aligning the cartridges. 

Please help before I lose my ***edited mind. I'm posting, since apparently there is something secret and fancy that y'all can't just post outright and have to direct message people. So here we are. 

I have pictures of all the fails. Can't post them I guess. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

It would appear you have a defective or empty black cartridge.  The black outlines on the ink level part of the test page are actually printed with a mixture of color inks and black so they can be seen even if black or one or more colors are missing.

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve black not printing on your Envy 4520 printer. 

You can attach a picture here by clicking on the camera icon just above the text entry box.

photo.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

ah, that option wasn't available on my phone.

PHOTO_20200107_160630.jpgPHOTO_20200107_160641.jpgPHOTO_20200107_160652.jpgPHOTO_20200107_160707.jpgPHOTO_20200107_232724.jpg

HP Recommended

The black cartridge is certainly printing based on the photo's.  Note that the black appearing brackets in page 3 (the ink levels print) are actually printed with a mixture of color and black inks.  They will appear to print properly even if black or one or more colors are not printing.

I would suggest going through the troubleshooting steps I gave above.  If this does not resolve the issue then try the following:  remove the black cartridge and gently blot it on a  damp tissue.  A good cartridge will have a strong blot of black.  If there is only a black smudge it is possible the cartridge has dried out.  In this case try the following:  get a coffee cup and put about 1" of very hot water in it.  Now place the cartridge with the nozzles facing downward in the cup.  Allow the cartridge to soak for about ten minutes.  Next, remove the cartridge and blot the electrical contacts dry with a lint-free wipe.  A clean coffee filter works well for this.  After drying the electrical contacts put the cartridge back in the printer and run up to three cleaning cycles.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.