Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I replaced my ink cartridge with a genuine HP one but I accidently pressed set ink quality to default. Now I am unable to prinr, copy, scan or align printer .it doesnt recognise the alignment page and I get the error message cartridge set to default print quality. Does anyone know how to reset the printer please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Webb72

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand, your ink quality was accidentally set to default,

I'd like to thank you for the detailed description of your concern, as you have ensured I don't have to ask any more questions, that said,

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue:

Clean the ink cartridges

Cleaning the ink cartridges can improve print quality. Clean the ink cartridges from the printer control panel, then evaluate the results.

NOTE: To avoid issues that require cleaning, always turn the printer off with the Power button.

1. Make sure to load the input tray with plain, white paper.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, then touch Setup.

3. Touch Tools, then touch Clean Cartridges.

The printer prints a Print Quality Diagnostic report.

Align the printer:

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

3. Touch Tools.

4. Swipe up on the display, then touch Align Printer.

An alignment page prints.

5. Wait for the alignment page to fully eject from the printer.

NOTE: Before a print job, the printer automatically extends the output tray extender. Do not push in the output tray extender until the print job is complete.

6. Lift the scanner lid.

7. Place the alignment page with the print side down on the scanner glass. Position it according to the engraved guides around the glass.

Image: Placing the alignment page on the scanner glass

8. Close the scanner lid, then touch OK

The printer aligns the ink cartridges.

If the issue persists, please perform reset

I'm sending out a Private message with the reset instructions,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Webb72

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand, your ink quality was accidentally set to default,

I'd like to thank you for the detailed description of your concern, as you have ensured I don't have to ask any more questions, that said,

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue:

Clean the ink cartridges

Cleaning the ink cartridges can improve print quality. Clean the ink cartridges from the printer control panel, then evaluate the results.

NOTE: To avoid issues that require cleaning, always turn the printer off with the Power button.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, then touch Setup.

3. Touch Tools, then touch Clean Cartridges.

The printer prints a Print Quality Diagnostic report.

Align the printer:

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

3. Touch Tools.

4. Swipe up on the display, then touch Align Printer.

An alignment page prints.

5. Wait for the alignment page to fully eject from the printer.

NOTE: Before a print job, the printer automatically extends the output tray extender. Do not push in the output tray extender until the print job is complete.

6. Lift the scanner lid.

7. Place the alignment page with the print side down on the scanner glass. Position it according to the engraved guides around the glass.

Image: Placing the alignment page on the scanner glass

8. Close the scanner lid, then touch OK

The printer aligns the ink cartridges.

If the issue persists, please perform reset

I'm sending out a Private message with the reset instructions,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

HP Recommended

@Webb72

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad to hear the issue is resolved 😉

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us 🙂

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

HP Recommended

After I changed my HP black in cartridge, the printer will not print black ink.  It says ink quality set to default.  I have tried to clean ink cartridges, reset the printer but the alignment page only shows color not black.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.