Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My printer is up to date. I have also updated the duplex unit to Installed tens of times now, but it goes back to Not Installed after clicking ‘apply’ when I try to print. As stated in my previous comment it was only after taking the advice of the previous agents this even happened. Also, I have uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times. It seems this is an ongoing glitch affecting several owners and we need new unique solutions. Please provide a new solution that has not already been posted as these are not really seeming to work for many of us.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Destiny2020

This might require remote access of the computer to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Envy 5544 - Windows  10

Nothing is solved.  Still no colour, no autoduplex, no phototray. 

However using my IPAD wirelessly with the printer allows all those facilities.

So clearly it is a Windows 10 issue presumably since the recent update.  Does this mean that none of your printers work with Windows 10?

What are you doing up about this?  When will you produce new software?  Or does this mean I have to go out and buy a new printer produced by another manufacturer?

HP Recommended

None of the fixes work. A new decade and still HP can't get the 4520 series printers working with auto-duplex in Windows 10. What a shambles!

HP Recommended

In the end I telephoned the HP support centre and a very helpful man 'took control' of my computer(!) and fixed it.  It took him quite  a long time - but things are now working entirely correctly - which was a great relief.

HP Recommended

I tried the telephone help and they were useless. Spent 20 minutes connecting to the printer and testing copying double sided (which works fine, as does printing from android). In the end they said the printer was no longer supported as it was over 2 years old and I would have to buy a new printer!

HP Recommended

Phone support did not help me much either. I just kept poking around until I found my own solution. When I did this I did not uninstall the driver again after support had me reinstall it for the 80th time. Here is what worked for me:

• Go to Devices and Printers
  • Select 'Add a printer'
  • "The printer that I want isn't listed"
  • "My printer is a little older. Help me find it."
  • My printer popped up as 'ENVY 4520 series (HP)'
  • "Replace my current driver"

I followed through until the install completed. Once it was done there was a new icon for 'HP ENVY 4520 series' under printers. There was still an icon for the other driver with all the glitches, but, to avoid anything else funky happening, I left it alone. The new driver has no issues printing double sided and in color in any program. I'm not sure that this will work for everyone, and I could not tell you why it worked for me. Good luck to everyone with this craziness. HP support needs to do more digging and find the root cause of these issues.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much @Destiny2020! Your work-around fixed the problem. I hope this helps other people out too.

HP Recommended

Glad it worked out for you @Camtastic1! 👍🏽

HP Recommended

I recently moved my HP Envy 4520 from a Win 7 to a Win 10 laptop and duplex printing no longer works.  I have tried everything on this page and am ready to pull my hair out.  Incredibly waste of paper.  Anyone have any ideas???

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.