Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Whenever i try to print a pdf online or a document from microsoft word or powerpoint ect., it only prints in black and white. I did a color test of the printer and aligned the cartridges and everything came out fine. The properties are not set to print in gray scale. I have no idea how to fix this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @BlueOlive, Greetings!

Thank you for joining HP support forums, I would like to help 🙂

I understand that your printer is printing in black and white only even though you can make a color copy.

I believe the issue is in the print settings itself. Please follow the below mentioned steps and check:

• Go to control panel – Devices and printers – Give a right click on Envy 4520 and select printing preferences.
  • In the pop-up window, click on “Advanced” button - check for printing in grayscale option. Make sure it is turned off.
  • Also once you try to print a document please go to printer properties to make sure it is not set in “print in greyscale” option.

If the above steps did not resolve the issue, it could be an issue with the printer drivers. In that case, we might need to uninstall the drivers and re-install the same. You can visit http://hp.care/2bYZled to download the drivers.

Let me know how it goes!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hello @BlueOlive, Greetings!

Thank you for joining HP support forums, I would like to help 🙂

I understand that your printer is printing in black and white only even though you can make a color copy.

I believe the issue is in the print settings itself. Please follow the below mentioned steps and check:

• Go to control panel – Devices and printers – Give a right click on Envy 4520 and select printing preferences.
  • In the pop-up window, click on “Advanced” button - check for printing in grayscale option. Make sure it is turned off.
  • Also once you try to print a document please go to printer properties to make sure it is not set in “print in greyscale” option.

If the above steps did not resolve the issue, it could be an issue with the printer drivers. In that case, we might need to uninstall the drivers and re-install the same. You can visit http://hp.care/2bYZled to download the drivers.

Let me know how it goes!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I reinstallled the driver and it worked to fix the problem! Thank you so much for the help!

HP Recommended

I've had the same problem.  Running Windows 10 on a brand new computer and I can only print B&W if I'm trying to print a Word Doc.  There is no option under printer preferences to toggle grayscale and color.  I have had the same problem with another HP printer I installed for a friend.  I've reinstalled the software from the web already.

The printer will print in color when it prints the test alignment sheets, but not when I need it to.  Lol.

Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended
Same issue as me and they said call tech support.
HP Recommended

If anyone else has this, the problem is the latest printer driver from HP. The answer is to use an older one - I found this link on another thread about this problem and it's sorted it for me.

https://www.driverscloud.com/en/services/GetInformationDriver/56706-12261/hp-en5540-72exe

HP Recommended

There is no option for colour or grayscale in my printing preferences menu or in printer properties. So I removed the device and reinstalled the device and thedownloaded driver. It worked for a bit but when I swthced off my lap top, when switched on again the printer reverts to B&W only. I tried this a few times but now it only prints in B&W from any of my office or pdf apps. It prints a test page OK. Its a very frustrating issue.
Also, even though I change the preferred paper size to A4, the properties menu tells me its in letter

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem.

I have removed, restarted and reinstalled this 4520 software 5 times already. I don't even have the radio butons for b&w versus color choice in the 'Paper/Quality' tab of the ""HP ENVY 4520 series (network) Printing Preferences" dialog box.

I am using windows 10 build 177763.rs5_release.180914-1434 if that's of any help.

HP Recommended

The solution suggested by Stooby worked for me. Thank you!

HP Recommended

To change from defaulted printing color, (in my case - color to black-and-white).

I have an HP ENVY 4510 All-in-One printer - connected wireless.

1). Go to Settings on your computer, then Devices, then Printers & Scanners, then choose your printer from the list.

2). After selecting your printer, click on the manage button.

3). Choose printer properties link. On the General tab, choose Change Properties tab.

4).  Choose the Advanced tab, then Print Processor tab.

5). There you should see a listing of Print processor and Default data type.

6). For my case, there was only an entry of winprint for my print processor and several entries for the default data type.

7). Based on the drivers installed, my defaulted print was in color, but I wanted to also print in black-and-white.

So I changed my default data type to select TEXT - to print in black-and-white.

If I need to print in color, I will change the default data type to RAW from my list.

8). Click on OK to accept all the changes.

I hope that this helps with your printer color issues because it works for me. : )  👍👍👍

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.