Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4525
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

my Envy 4525 only prints in black/white/grayscale when "connected" via WiFi.

When printing directly connected via USB, within the Options Tab, I can select Greyscale or Color print and everything is working as intended. When connected via WiFi this "feature" is missing and all printouts are Black and White.

Printer was installed for WiFi via the Envy4525 Programm that was installed with the driver. There i selected to switch to WiFi. After sucessfull installation I was asked to remove the USB cable and all looked well. Printing worked, but only in B&W.

When sending something via Eprint it is also printing in color. So it is only the WiFi Printing from Windows 10 that is not working.

I tried using the cleaning tools in the software several times.
Already reinstalled the Drivers twice. No Change. The Color Selection Option is always missing for the WiFi Printer and the USB Printer has this Option available. (Print Options -> Paper/Quality).

Especcially frustrating is, that it was working under Windows 7 and having switched to Windows 10, it is not working anymore.

Any recommendation is appreciated. Newest Driver is installed.

Best Regards

Christian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Fosette,

thank you for your help, but that didnt solve my Problem as well.

Luckily I was able to find out the "culprit" of the issue. It was the WSD Driver that is automatically used, when utilizing the Add Printer Function of Windows 10.

If I add the printer manually using the TCP/IP Option of adding a printer, everything is working fine. I have my colour option back. Therefore I am 100% positive that this is a driver issue with Windows 10 and the HP Envy Printer.

While manually adding the printer, I was able to select the Envy Driver instead of the WSD driver.

Maybe this helps other persons having trouble with their HP Printer under Win10

BR

Lonewolf

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@ChristianJ

Welcome to HP support community.

Did you uninstall the printer driver from root level?

If not, follow the below steps:

Perform root level uninstallation to remove all the printer related software's.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Restart the PC again.

Download and install printer full feature driver

Click here to download the driver.

Update the printer firmware

Follow the steps mentioned in this HP document to update firmware:- Click here

Once you install the printer, change the bellow settings to print in color.

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button , and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-click the printer that you want to use, and then click Printing preferences.
  3. Make your choices, and then click OK.
  4. Under option Print color select color , then the OK button.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi Sandy, thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately I already performed the steps you mentioned twice. Inkl removal via Printui.exe. Firmware is current. As stated above, the issue only occurs for the WiFi option of the printer. If I am connected via USB Cable, everything is working fine. For the WiFi Printer, wich is installed as a seperate printer, I dont even see the option to switch between color printing and black and white printing. Any additonal leads, would be highl appreciated. Best Regards Christian
HP Recommended

@ChristianJ

The HP Print and Scan Doctor might get this sorted out

Please download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor from this Link: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/HPPSdr.exe

Run PSDR v5.0.2 

Once the PSDR detects the Printer, it will show up the IP address and Software Status. 

Select the correct Printer and click on Next. 

PSDR will check if the Printer is on the Network and communication between the PC and the Printer. Once the connection check is done, click on Fix Printing 

Once PSDR goes through all checks and automatic fixes, click on Print a test page. 

Regardless if PSDR printed the test page or not, click on “NO PRINT” 

PSDR will then notify you that there is an update available, click on continue, and PSDR will apply the patch and ask for a reboot. 

Post restart the PSDR will run automatically to check for more issues.  If no issue found close PSDR. 

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello The_Fossettte,

thank you for the guidance. I just finished running the Print and Scan Doctor, and according to the programm everything is fine. It stated, that some drivers were updated.

Unfortunately I am still misssing the Option to print in color.

As already stated, that is only true for the WiFi printer. The USB Printer is working fine.

Best Regards

Christian

HP Recommended

@ChristianJ,

We need to perform a semi-full reset to fix this issue. However, as the steps to perform a semi-full reset are confidential and specific to your printer. I will be sending you a private message please watch your inbox for more information.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Fosette,

thank you for your help, but that didnt solve my Problem as well.

Luckily I was able to find out the "culprit" of the issue. It was the WSD Driver that is automatically used, when utilizing the Add Printer Function of Windows 10.

If I add the printer manually using the TCP/IP Option of adding a printer, everything is working fine. I have my colour option back. Therefore I am 100% positive that this is a driver issue with Windows 10 and the HP Envy Printer.

While manually adding the printer, I was able to select the Envy Driver instead of the WSD driver.

Maybe this helps other persons having trouble with their HP Printer under Win10

BR

Lonewolf

HP Recommended

@ChristianJ,

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I have the same Problems with my HP ENVY 4525 with Win10

The printer only prints black when we use it over WiFi.

I deleted the printer, the drivers an the software several times but it doesen´t work.

The testing pages are with Colour but if i choose for example a Picture, I could only print it in black/White/greyscale.

What can I do?

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@ChristianJ

Try adding the printer using IP address -

1. Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box.
2. Choose “Printers & scanners“.
3. Select “Add a printer or scanner“.
4. Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it.
5. Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“.
6. Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list.
7. Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel. 
8. Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.   

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.