Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had no problems installing the ink cartridges that came with the printer. I used the printer off and on for weeks until the black ink was very low, so I installed an official replacement ink cartridge and the printer keeps saying there is a cartridge problem.

I removed the cartridges and unplugged the printer for over 60 seconds, plugged it back in and reinstalled the cartridges. The printer recognizes the color cartridge, but still not the black one.

Next, I downloaded the latest software into the printer, but that didn't help.

I tried putting the old black cartridge into the printer, but that isn't recognized either. I don't know what is going on.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Random_Terrain If none of those steps helped, this could be a hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Random_Terrain I recommend you attempt to print a Print Quality Diagnostic report from the printer control panel, and then evaluate the results.

1. Load the printer with plain white paper.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe left on the display, and then touch Setup .

3. Touch Tools.

4. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Print Quality Report.

A Print Quality Diagnostic report prints.

Print Quality Diagnostic report without defects

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 9 ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, but when I do that, I get the "Cartridge Problem" screen since the printer thinks I have no black ink installed.

HP Recommended

@Random_Terrain If none of those steps helped, this could be a hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had to chat with a real human and he was going to have me go through a 30 to 45 minute process, but I told him everything I already tried, so he skipped the process and said I could send the printer back and they'd send me a new one. All I had to do was provide my credit card information. I told him I didn't feel comfortable giving that information, so he sent me an e-mail with a pre-paid return label. The printer was mailed back today and after they receive it, my replacement printer is supposed to be sent to me.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I received the replacement printer today, but it didn't have a power cord with it. I mailed the old power cord back with the faulty printer. I got on the chat and they are going to mail a replacement cord. It should arrive around the first of July.

PROTIP: Don't send the power cord back with your faulty printer because the replacement may not have a power cord with it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.