Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
envy 5530
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My printer onnected to my old router fine, but the router had to be reset 3x a day so after much yelling and screaming a Mediacom they sent a tech with a new router.  The devices--PC, smartphones, etc connect to the router with no probelm but when I tried to print something from my phone or pc, it would say the printer is off or unavailable.  At the printer, it shows it can't connect to wireless network.  I used the wizard and it found my network, I put in the correct passcode but it won't connect.  My network has one name and another with 5G added.  I am trying to connect to the regular one without the 5G.  On the router, the 2.4g and 5g are both blinking (enabled). The router is Hitron.  According to Mediacrap, HP needs to solve it.  

Also; ran wireless network test results report under Settings>No Filtering>FAIL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

MAC filtering is used to allow or deny access to a device by the router.

WPA or WPA2 Personal, it is a method of securing your network using WPA2 with the use of the optional Pre-Shared Key (PSK) authentication, which was designed for home users.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Check the router, is filtering ON?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

How do I check that on he router? 

HP Recommended

I got into the router control panel after Mediaom gave me the log in but saw nothing about filtering. They told me "Mediacom does not support content filtering" whatever.  Said I need the IP of the printer and the ports needed. Said HP needs to reconfigure the printer settings.  So where do I go from here?

HP Recommended

The filtering that the  error may refers to the MAC address off the printer.

Check if the router has the MAC filter option.

HP Recommended

I cannot locat a MAC filter option

HP Recommended

Medicrap tech support is worthless, BUT I accidently stumbled on the problem.  The security setting on the router was WPA2.  I changed it to WPA/WPA2 and the printer connected.  What a hassle.  So from the techies, is WPA2 a MAC filtering???

HP Recommended

MAC filtering is used to allow or deny access to a device by the router.

WPA or WPA2 Personal, it is a method of securing your network using WPA2 with the use of the optional Pre-Shared Key (PSK) authentication, which was designed for home users.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.