Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 7640

Printer has started to make harsh noise as if sprokets were broken or misaligned.  Can't see any problems with internals, but have not taken printer apart.  It only makes this noise sometimes, but did this morning - quite alarming.  After thorough visible inspection, rotating cogs inside, checking no paper jam, it behaved perfectly, both photocopy and print from computer.  However, I suspect the problem will recur.  Anyone experienced this problem, or had it diagnosed?   Thanks.      

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@JKL6633

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Does this happen while copying too?

Let's try a firmware update: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, Betty0610.  The noise happens when printing and photocopying.  It's not a software problem, so I haven't updated the firmware (why did you ask me to do this?).

I thought the problem might be a loose or broken hinge on the rear of the lift-up unit (e.g. when fitting new ink cartridges), but it still made the harsh noise, though not every time.   It seems that the noise is from the paper transport system.  I have tested the document feeder and it's not that. 

So, I'm still searching for the cause of the harsh noise (though the noise is sometimes only moderately harsh, but still not normal).  Any ideas what it might be??

MT   

HP Recommended

To; Betty0610,   From JKL6633, again.  I have just checked for printer updates, and it tells me that if is fully up to date.  My printer has a wireless connection to the internet, so I used that and it worked fine.  

MT

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Have a nice day!:)

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

To:  Betty0610.   

The problem with my HP Envy 7640 has not been solved.   Can you suggest any possible cause,  apart from the Firmware update, which I have done. 

Thanks.  MT

HP Recommended

Have you tried a different wall outlet or tried cleaning the rollers?

Try the steps to clean from here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-envy-7640-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6617267/document/c0437...

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.