Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 7640 All in One

I'm unable to get my new Envy to connect. It was connected, then it dropped the connection and won't re-connect. I've already rebooted the PC and the Printer. I've removed/re-added the device. Now I'm unable to re-install the software as the device won't connect (Wizard problems). I've tried to connect via USB as well as wireless. do I have to try ethernet to get this to work? What will it take? Ideas welcome.

update: waited a day. Rebooted the router. Turned off Wireless printing. Rebooted Printer. re-added printer w/ connection via USB. Unable to print.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello, @Craig1144 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for engaging in the HP Support Forums! I’d like to help with the printer issue!

I do understand that you are having trouble getting the printer connected to the network / PC. To assist you with this issue, I need to know the operating system on your PC. Please reply with the details.

While waiting for your reply, let’s try to run the Wireless setup wizard to get the printer connected to the network:

1. Turn on the printer.

2. On the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon .

3. Touch the Settings icon .

4. Touch Wireless Settings.

5. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard.

6. Follow the instructions on the control panel to connect the printer to your wireless network.

Assuming you are using a Windows PC, then try the steps listed below to try and fix the issue:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on http://hp.care/2omOX5O to download and install the printer drivers.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

If you have a MAC system, then try the steps below:

• Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
  • Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
  • Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
  • Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
  • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
  • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
  • Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.
  • Click the “Add button” (+).
  • Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
  • Click “Print Using...”, and then select the name of your printer (By default “Airprint” would be selected)

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay. I'm running Win10 (x64). Printer now working fine on Wireless, still not working as local printer on USB. Can't figure this one out. I've removed/re-added printer using wizard and CLI. Using the HP wizard, I add the printer as USB and it isn't found. When trying to add as local printer using 'Devices and Printers' it seems to complete, but then is unable to print a test page. Printer has been powered off/on numerous times, PC too.  Error messages states printer is in an 'error state.' There's no error indicated in Devices and Printers. Printer continues to be able to print from wireless, tho. I'd still like to correct the USB problem. I've replaced the USB cable, I've tested the system with an alternate printer - works OK. Problem is definitely on the 7640 end. I've run Printer Updates from the device, it's current. OS on PC is current. As it's a Local Printer, shouldn't be a problem for firewall (Norton 360), but I turned that off while testing too.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem,

It took me a few hours to figure out what was going wrong as HP solutions doesn't seem to have the answer either.

I followed all of HP's advise and solutions but nothing worked, the software would always fail to install the printer correctly.

So I had a play around to fix it myself as this is my Job ( and no I don't work for HP ). lol

I believe the issue is caused by a windows 10 build update which upsets the HP reg key.

follow these steps and I think you will find your printer/scanner Wireless and USB will work again.

1, go to Printers & Scanners, delete your HP printer.

2, go to add and remove programmes, Uninstall all your HP software.

3, press the windows key +r or in the search bar type regedit and enter.

In the registry go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hewlett-Packard, Right click on this and press delete

The next key down should be HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HP, right click again and delete.

Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HP, right click and delete again.

This should have removed all your HP reg keys related to your hp printer.

4, Restart your pc/ laptop

5, Now Install your printer drivers and software

This will work on other HP Printers too

Everything should work, Goodluck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

This fix worked perfectly! Followed your steps in order and my problem is fixed. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.