Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy Photo 7155
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Double checked all settings and paper in proper Photo Tray.

Carefully loaded a single 5X7 paper in Photo Tray.

When job started, the printer window always says Main Tray.

We can see the photo tray move in, out, back in, and out again, and then nothing happens.

Print job still shows in the Windows Queue.

We have been able to print 5X7's before. Now it's not working.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@MichaelUSMC

Welcome to the HP support community.

Make sure the photo tray is seated correctly

1. Make sure the printer is positioned on a flat surface.

2. Push in the output tray extender.

3. Pull out the input tray, but do not remove it.

Image: Pull out input tray

4. Remove the output tray.

Image: Remove the output tray

5. Make sure the photo tray is seated correctly, and that the photo tray guide tabs (grey) are sliding beneath the main tray guides (black) on both the left and right side of the input tray.

Image: Photo tray properly functioning

Image: Tabs outside and inside guide rails

If they are not in the correct position, gently move the photo tray to align the tab gaps, and then gently press the tabs back into position.

The photo tray should move freely with no resistance.

6. Reinstall the output tray, and then make sure the edges line up with the input tray.

Image: Line up the edges

7. Try to print.

8. If the error persists, try printing or copying a document with the output tray removed.

You can also refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I checked the innards of the paper tray and nothing is askew.

I tried to print and got the Printer Validation Failed error.

I tried to print With The Output Tray out and got the Printer Validation Failed error.

HP Recommended

@MichaelUSMC

Update the printer firmware

Here are the steps:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried to update with my EN7100_R2010A firmware.exe download and even though I selected the printer, the update button was not active. Had to cancel.

I guess I have to go through all the uninstalls and installs again. More time wasted.

HP Recommended

By the way, when I tested it for Scanning, it did work and printed a sheet with my scan subject. Scan & print worked, all from the printer.

HP Recommended

My laptop just worked. I had started the firmware process, which wouldn't allow me to start, but then took me to the IP address,, which I have done 3 times now, but it did print.

However, my wife's laptop did not, even though it was working before.

I guess I have to go through and complete my 3 support emails on my wife's machine.

HP Recommended

@MichaelUSMC

This looks like a hardware issue.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.