Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Asus Q505U
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer is an older one, HP Photosmart C309g-m, but isn't outdated since it can still work and print wirelessly. I just haven't used it since 2015, and held onto it but secured it in safe and good condition. Fast forward a few years, now setting up a home office, I took it out to start using it again. Everything appeared to be in great condition and was dust-free. I bought new ink cartridges, but now I turned on the device and I can't even put in the new ink!

Everything I do, I get "General Printer Error: 0x61011beb".

I've looked around online and this error ironically appears to be related to ink. I open up the cartridge access door and read everywhere I looked online, "The carriage moves to the center of the printer... Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue." But when I do, it goes back all the way to the right where I can't access it!

I went through the printer settings to clean the printhead... And it goes into the same error. I press "OK" to continue and it goes back to trying to clean the printhead and pop up with the error. I'm stuck in the cycle and have to hard reset it to go back to trying anything.

My laptop, like many others these days, does not have a CD drive for me to download the software that came with my printer. I tried setting up my printer with HP Smart to try to handle it that way since nothing on my printer seems to work, but after adding the printer to my network, HP Smart detects the printer and everything but says "Printer status unknown." What does that mean? Does HP Smart work with this (older) printer? I don't know if it's related or this is a separate issue, not pressing right now because I only tried downloading HP Smart to see if I can manually change the ink since automatically trying to do it won't let me.

What can I do?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@wperry

Thanks for joining HP Community!

I suggest you do a Hard Reset on the printer without the printer cartridge.

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on remove the cartridge.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on put the cartridge back in..

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Refer to this document: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-photosmart-premium-all-in-one-printer-series-c309/3984414/do...

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hallo Raj

I have the same issue as described. Printer c309g, perfectly running cca 10 years, now just straight from sky error 0x61011beb.

All checked, no paper jam / debris.

What is the next step?

BR

Ivan

HP Recommended

@ivanEff,

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. 
  2. Remove USB cable, if present. 
  3. Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge. 
  4. Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer. 
  5. Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

If you continue facing the issue, then contact support as it may be a hardware issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @The_Fossette

I tried all the steps you did and I ended up with the same error. I unplugged everything for 5 minutes. I held the printer power button for 30 seconds. I plugged the power cable directly into a wall outlet, and then connected it to the printer. I left the USB cable disconnected. I turned on the printer, I pressed "OK" on the warning not to hard shut off a printer, and after the printer warmed up it came up with the error again.

I went to contact HP Support but I did not see a chat option or a phone number, the only option I could see after putting in my printer was a virtual agent, who - after being directed to confirm my device information - said my printer was out of warranty and provided me with 2 options. One to join the community and ask a question (which I did, here, already) and the second to contact HP Support (which, as before, only provided me an option for a virtual assistant).

Is there something else I am supposed to look for, or do I not have any more options because my printer's warranty expired?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.