Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP OfficeJet 4650 printer.  I keep getting error message to reinstall ink cartridges.  I have done this biut the message keeps reappearing.  I followed all the steps on the HP Troubleshooting webpage --- unplug printer, wait 10 minutes, clean cartridges with lint free cloth and distilled water, etc., but error message persists, and the printer will not print.  HELP!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@WaRR1321,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are getting an ink cartridge error on the printer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Gather the following materials:

• Dry foam-rubber swabs, lint-free cloth, or any soft material that does not come apart or leave fibers (coffee filters work well)

• Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might contain contaminants that can damage the ink cartridges)

CAUTION: 

Do not use platen cleaners or alcohol to clean the ink cartridge contacts. These can damage the ink cartridge or the printer.

2. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

3. Gently grasp the handles on either side of the printer, then raise the ink cartridge access door until it locks into place.

The carriage moves to the center of the printer.

Image: Opening the ink cartridge access door.

4. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.

5. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

6. Disconnect the USB cable, if it is connected.

7. To release the ink cartridge, lift the lid on the ink cartridge slot, then gently push the lid back until it stops.

8. Pull up on the ink cartridge to remove it from the slot.

CAUTION: 

Do not remove both ink cartridges at the same time. Remove and then clean each ink cartridge one at a time. Do not leave an ink cartridge outside the printer for more than 30 minutes.

1. Lift the lid

2. Gently push the lid back

3. Pull up on the ink cartridge

9. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.

Image: Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.

CAUTION: 

Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

Image: Do not touch the contacts or nozzles.

10. Lightly moisten a foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.

11. Clean the face and edges around the ink nozzle with the swab.

CAUTION: 

Do not clean the ink nozzle plate.

1. Nozzle plate - Do not clean

2. Area surrounding ink nozzle - Do clean

3. Ink cartridge contacts - Do not clean

12. Either let the ink cartridge sit for 10 minutes to allow the cleaned area to dry, or use a new swab to dry it.

13. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides with the nozzles toward the printer, then slide the ink cartridge forward into the slot.

14. Close the lid on the ink cartridge slot to secure the ink cartridge into place.

1. Insert the ink cartridge

2. Close the lid

3. The color ink cartridge is on the left, and the black ink cartridge is on the right

15. Repeat these steps to clean, then reinsert the other ink cartridge.

16. Close the ink cartridge access door.

17. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

18. Turn on the printer, if it does not turn on automatically.

19. Try to print again, and examine the page.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.