Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8715
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

OfficeJet Pro 8715 - False printer jam message. On my printer control panel, I continue getting the message "Document Feeder Jam. The original is jammed in the document feeder. Open the cover, remove and reload the original, and then try again". I can print OK from my PC, but I can do nothing from the printer control panel, nor can I get rid of the error message.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Ted75

Welcome to HP support community.

Make sure the carriage can move freely

1. Turn on the printer.

2. Place your fingers into the slot on the left side of the printer, and then pull to open the ink cartridge access door.

The carriage moves into the ink cartridge access area.

1. Location of the ink cartridge access door slot

3. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.

4. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

WARNING: 

You must unplug the power cord to move the carriage by hand and reset the paper feed mechanism without the risk of electrical shock.

5. Use a flashlight to check for any paper or objects that might be restricting the carriage, and then remove any paper or objects that you find.

CAUTION: 

If the paper tears when you remove it from the rollers, check the rollers and wheels for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the printer. If pieces of paper remain in the printer, more paper jams can occur.

6. Reach inside the printer through the ink cartridge access door, and then manually move the carriage.

• If the carriage is stuck on the right side of the printer, move the carriage to the left side of the printer.

• If the carriage is stuck on the left side of the printer, move the carriage to the right side of the printer.

• If the carriage is stuck in the middle of the printer, move the carriage to the right side of the printer.

7. Remove any loose paper or obstructions found.

8. Make sure that the carriage can move freely across the width of the printer. Firmly push the carriage to the left side of the printer, and then push it to the right side.

9. Close the ink cartridge access door.

10. Reconnect the power cord, and then turn on the printer.

11. Try to print.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you. I went through all the steps many times. I spent an hour on the phone with HP tech support yesterday, but they could not resolve it. They said the printer would have to be replaced. They were stumped.

HP Recommended

Hello,

The error you mentioned is indicating a paper jam in ADF ( top feeder ).

You may have to perform the below steps.

Clear jammed paper from the automatic document feeder (ADF).
1)Lift the ADF cover.
2)Lift the document feeder tab from the side.
3)Remove any jammed paper from the rollers.
4)Close the ADF cover tightly at both ends.

You may also use the below URL to refer https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8710-all-in-one-printer-series/7902014/documen...

If the above steps do not resolve, then you may check if the Paper sensor in ADF is blocked or not moving. 

Below is the link to Video that should guide you.

https://youtu.be/NwMjkMFHWB8

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

I have had 3 of the hp 8710/8715 printers come in with the -- false -- " DOCUMENT FEEDER JAM" in the last two months, Even when I disconnect the ADF, the machine still shows " DOCUMENT FEEDER JAM" ,  Only guessing, have not contacted HP,  but pretty sure one of the circuit boards has a problem. 

Have not figured how to fix yet. 

HP Recommended

Hello, 

Kindly check if the Paper sensor in ADF is blocked or not moving.  If its stuck or not moving then its a printer hardware failure and printer need to be serviced.

Below is the link to Video that should guide you.

https://youtu.be/NwMjkMFHWB8

You may also try the below steps..

1. While printer is ON, unplug the power cord from back of the printer.
  2. Wait for 60 seconds.
  3. Now plug in the power cord directly to power outlet and then to printer.
  4. Wait until printer power up, else press the ON button to do so.
  5. If issue, kindly check if there is paper piece stuck in the Document feeder mechanism and remove it.
  6. Now try printing. It should work.
Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.