Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet pro 6978
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Hi, Im having a problem with my printer above, the above error pops up when i hit scan from the scanner.  It wont communicate with the computer that was previously working and scanning no problem.  The only way to fix it is either:-

a.  Rebooting the printer

b.  Unplugging the usb and power and hard power cycling

c. Uninstalling the printer and re-installing

Once one of the above is done it tends to work for maybe a day or so, then inevitably returns to non communicado mode.  I have the printer connected via usb to my mac mini and via ethernet cable to a network switch that is also connected to my mac. I have tried ipv6 enabled and disabled and neither work.  

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@scm5mrjn, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand you have issues with scanning from your Mac. Try using the Apple Image Capture and see if that works, this will help us isolate the issue further-

Apple Image Capture comes with macOS and OS X and provides a quick and simple way to scan a document or photo.

note:

Image Capture does not support scanning to email, scanning as editable text (OCR), or starting scans from the printer control panel.

1. Place the document or photo printed side down on the scanner glass, then close the scanner lid.

If your printer has an automatic document feeder (ADF), you can use it to scan multiple page documents at one time. Do not load photos in the ADF to prevent damage to the photos and the printer.

2. Open Finder , click Go in the top menu bar, click Applications, then double-click Image Capture.

3. Click your printer name in the Devices or Shared list.

note:

If a Software for this device is not installed message displays after you select your printer, click Install, then follow the instructions to complete the installation.

4. Click Show Details at the bottom of the screen.

A preview of the scan displays, then change any of the following settings:

• Scan Mode: Select the scanning bed or automatic document feeder, depending on where you loaded the original on the printer.

• Kind: Set scan as color, black and white, or optimized for text only documents.

• Resolution: Higher resolution produces better quality images by using more dots (pixels) per inch. Higher resolution increases the file size of the scan. Use a higher resolution for scans with graphics or items that require the best detail. If you are scanning black and white text, higher resolution is not necessary.

• Size: Use a standard paper size, or select the Use Custom Size option.

• Scan to: Select the folder you want scans to save to.

• Name: Type a name for the saved scan file.

• Format: Select the file type for the scan.

note:

Select the PDF or TIFF format, then select the box next to Combine into single document to save multiple page documents or multiple images into a single file. This feature is only available with these formats.

• Image Correction: Click the pop-up menu, then select Manual to display color change options such as brightness and saturation.

5. Click Scan.

The scan saves in the selected Scan to the folder.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, this works, but only when the scanner is working.  So, apple image capture works when the scanner can find the mac from the scanner, but when it stops working and can no longer find the mac (i.e. the problem i was writing about), using apple image capture also stops working.  

Its as if its losing connection and the only way to refind or reconnect is either reboot etc (the list i previously mentioned). 

HP Recommended

@scm5mrjn

Thanks for replying!

To be able to assist you better, I would like to know the following:

• Are the printer and PC connected to the same network?
  • Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?
  • What is the distance between the router and the printer?
  • Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer?
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results?

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'. 

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.