Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8210
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to print some labels but I get this error via Windows: "Error printing - the printer could not print" and the document stays in the queue. I can't find any way of discovering the reason WHY it won't print.

Background:

The printer works fine on ogther documents - no problems connecting or printing.

I'm printing from Aulux Barcode Label Maker 7. The particular labels I'm trying to print have worked fine for years on an Epson printer. The template has not changed. 

The 8210 is new and I've never used it to print labels before. 

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The solution was to install the Universal Print Driver instead of the model-specific one. 

HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6 (64-bit)

There's clearly a bug in the driver for the 8210 printer. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Anyone????

HP Recommended

How can I find out what is causing the error? There's no error messgae on the printer display.

HP Recommended

@JonMason

Welcome to HP forums, I see that you are getting "the printer could not print" error.

Your printer supports only below mentioned size labels.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The labels are Avery L7651 - they are A4 size.

I wonder if these labels are trying to print outide the printable area? They're very close to the edge of the A4 sheet. How can I find out if the printer is not printing becuase it's outside of the printable area? Is there any way to get more information. "the printer could not print" is a pretty poor error message.

HP Recommended

@JonMason

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

If you are printing on A4 size paper, your printer should support.

Update the printer firmware update

Refer this HP document for the steps to update the printer firmware:- Click here

Perform root level uninstalltion to remove all the printer related software's.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Restart the PC again.

Download and install printer driver

Click here to install the printer driver.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, none of that helped. The fiirmware is up to date. I eventually managed to reinstall the drivers as instructed. No change. Can someone tell me: What does "the printer can't print" mean???????? I am going to have to return this printer if it can't perform this simple task.

HP Recommended

@JonMason

It looks like you were interacting with @sandytechy20, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 

I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service. 

Is the copy working fine?

Did you try to print from a different application?

If the issue persists, I have sent you a private message, to contact HP Phone support depending on the product that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

The solution was to install the Universal Print Driver instead of the model-specific one. 

HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6 (64-bit)

There's clearly a bug in the driver for the 8210 printer. 

HP Recommended

@JonMason

Thanks for writing back to us.

Good to know that the issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in future if you need any assistance.

Please mark the public post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.