Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6968
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had my Officejet Pro 6968 for several years now, always works great, amazing features, etc, etc.... Because I have had no issues, I havent had to log in to the config in a long time, however that changed today. I cant remember what I set the admin password to, so I cant make the changes I need. 

I have tried the "hit return 3x and go to reset" but that doesnt work, only makes me so the initial setup and not defualt the password. What do I need to do to resotre my printer so I can make the changes I need to make? 

Thanks! 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Skater123,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concern and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I’d love to help!

I am sending you a private message with instructions. Please perform the steps to reset the printer.

Let me know how it works and you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

After trying that multiple times, I dug around the printer menu from the display and was finally able to hit Factory Restore without needing the admin password. Im not sure if it was a combination of doing th reset multiple times or what, but im finally in and was able to change the password.

Thanks for the assistance! 

HP Recommended

@Skater123,

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that! 

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

How do I factory reset this printer?  It is stuck and can't add wifi to it and also each button is not working on the printer interface as it says it is locked by person who set up, which is me.  Why is this like this? I want full control of my printer.

HP Recommended

Hi @SIE

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have sent you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was given the printer by a friend and I can't connect to my wireless.  i  would like to restore to factory settings. And have seen no option to do this on the printer. 

HP Recommended

I need to reset my printer as well, when starting the HP Smart app keeps asking for password for the printer, first time this has happened since getting the printer a few years ago. 

HP Recommended
FHow do i factory reset office jet pro 6960 from the device as clan wont enable due to admin lock
  1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).
  2. Touch Printer Maintenance.
  3. Touch Restore.
  4. Touch Restore Factory Defaults. ...
  5. Touch Continue.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.