Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 3762,HP Deskjet 3762

Hi,

I need to do a factory reset on my HP Deskjet 3762. I tried POWER+CANCEL button however this does not do a full reset. Issue i have is I set password for the admin user in the backend (&iMU6![$?Ye5Ux]hJE?8*Iw2U) however since then I am not able to login to backend any more and make any changes. Is there a way to reset the password and if so how.  

error-message.jpeg

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Also just to add the following document does not provide any information regarding factory reset.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05152483

HP Recommended

I already have raised with HP Support but so far nothing has been done. Surely there must be a way to reset embed server settings which means will clear all the settings. My questions are pretty simple but HP support seems bot be able to help and all I am trying to avoid is go back to shop and request a refund/replacement.

1. What is the default admin username (assuming admin all lower case)?

2. What is the max password length.

I tried admin and Admin and also try different password length but still no luck. It is pretty easy to replicate.

1. Goto your Printer IP address

2. Settings

3. Security

and set a password for the admin account. Even if anyone else can share a screen shot of that page (prior to settings anything) will be great. I might have missed something entirely.

Regards,

HP Recommended

Am I the only one with this issue?

HP Recommended

Ok to give everyone an update it seems like this is not possible really. After 2 days of talking to HP support I was told I had to take the printer back to where ever I purchased it and ask for a replacement.  Also I was told It is not recommended to set a password for EWS at all. Anyway the process to factory reset is 

1. Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer
2. While applying the power cord back into printer, please press Cancel and colour copy buttons at the same time

When I get the replacement I will make sure it has the latest firmware/updates and will try to factory reset again and will let you know how it goes. 

HP Recommended

So it turns out the following is not Factory reset 🙂 

1. Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer
2. While applying the power cord back into printer, please press Cancel and colour copy buttons at the same time

Semi Factory reset process is Cancel+Wireless/Nework Button hold for 10 seconds or so and then this will reset it. Reason for saying semi reset is because it only reset the network settings of the printer and this will not remove the EWS password.

I had chat over the phone with some one in HP printer support  and I was told this is the only method to do a factory reset (Which is a FACTORY RESET!!!). Also I was told again user(s) are not suppose to touch EWS pages (Where is this statement???) which can/might cause issues.

If changing the EWS password lock you out of EWS for ever and if the Proposed Factory Reset is not doing what it is suppose to do then clearly there is a bigger issue and this is a BUG more than anything else.  All I am trying to do is prevent this printer going back and possibly get dumped for no reason. 

I hope someone from HP would come up with a fix. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

in fact, I solved my problem by updating the  firmeware printer on 2600 :). The reset procedure work well after.

Christophe

HP Recommended

Issue here is even that part is locked.

HP Recommended

Anyone from HP here can help me with this? Should i really return this printer!!!

HP Recommended

@hamedg wrote:

Anyone from HP here can help me with this? Should i really return this printer!!!

OK so

According to EWS

Security Password Settings

You can set a password to prevent unauthorized users from remotely configuring the printer or viewing printer settings from the embedded web server (EWS). Once set, this password is required to change or view many printer settings from the EWS.

The password can only consist of the following printable ASCII characters: A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and the following special characters:!"#$%&'()*+,-./:;<=>?@[\]^_`{|}~

To disable the password, leave the boxes blank.

username: admin
password: As an example S3cuR$P@ssw0rd 

What i would like to know (this is for HP)is where do they say/mention it is not recommended to set password for your EWS. Does this mean I can not set a password and if so why is this thing here!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.