Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

Note: I realize this might not be the best board for this topic, however I couldn't find a more suitable board.

For years my grandfather used the HP Photo Creations-software  to create/print out his christmas greetings, unfortuantly it turns out this app has been discontinued on the 30th of November (2019). The Dutch HP support only gave limited support for an replacement and there was no real customer service to turn to. I've tried looking for a replacement but I'm not really familiar with HP and its products.

My question is as followed: Is there a way to still be able to use "HP Photo Creations-software " ?

Because my grandfather is well into his 80's and using this app would make things a lot easier for him to use.

IF NOT: Is there a suitable alternative for the program?

If it helps, he uses the HP Photosmart 5520 printer.

Kind regards,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@CheesecubeNL 

I answered a similar post about this subject a while back - I did not get any response, possibly because the person to whom I offered the advice did not like the answer -- or maybe just because, you know, they didn't bother.  Smiling.

HP Photo Creations is truly gone.  T'is sad.

I can offer the following - my own experience with the various software programs does not allow me to guess whether your Grandfather will find the alternatives usable.  My own father, in that age group at the time, did have trouble learning new tasks.  He hated it.  Patience and repetition helped.

My feeling is that if it will support your Photosmart printer, the HP Smart application will be suitable. 

HP Smart is easy to download and install.  The setup is fairly intuitive (assuming the printer is on the network already).  Using the software is relatively straightforward.  If you can spend any time helping him to get started, I think he will be able to use the software to print his photos.

Excerpted from my original Post on the Subject:

In GENERAL, HP Smart does support some nice print features.

HP Smart - Help for Windows

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

Links to HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices,  includes an FAQ section

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

For example, 

• HP Smart is very easy to install, fairly easy to use, and does not depend on having other printer software installed.  (Remember Photo Creations was fully dependent on the Full Feature Software (HP printer software / driver).
  • HP Smart software can print more than one photo on a page - this is similar to the "Multi=up" feature in Photo Creations.  The feature is not quite so sophisticated (yet) in HP Smart.  For example, there are no options to view "cut lines".
  • HP Smart lets you choose the photo size, the paper size, the orientation, and other options.
  • HP Smart provides versions of the application for more than one platform.  For example, there is an HP Smart for Windows 10, for newer versions of iOS, and for some Android setups.  The applications are not equal, that is, some features available on the HP Smart for Windows are Not (yet?) supported in the iOS version of the software.
  • HP Smart does not, on its own, support "projects" nor does it (on its own) print calendars, collages, or photo books.
  • Photo editing options in HP Smart are (at this writing and in my opinion) still somewhat primitive.  "Getting there" seems to describe the progress toward something useful.
  • In so much that I am aware, there is not (yet?) an HP Smart for Mac OS, though in truth I do not know.  I have an iPad Pro that does support HP Smart for iOS.

=================================================================

Some examples

After it is installed, HP Smart is available in Windows Start (Windows key)

Set to view "All Apps" list

Scroll down to Category "H"

Left-Click on the app to start the application

or

Right-Click to Pin the application tile to the Start screen (for easier access)

HP_Smart_Start_Screen_IconHP_Smart_Start_Screen_Icon

Note that you can also Right-Click on the app > More > Pin the app to the Taskbar - even easier to find!

HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_1HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_1

Basics

Open HP Smart

Click to Print Photos

Find and select a photo to print

Set the options

Click Print

Example - Borderless Print 

Note:  Not all printers support borderless

HP_Smart_Borderless_Print_1HP_Smart_Borderless_Print_1

The More Settings button is useful to check and adjust settings not found in the basic print menu.

HP_Smart_Borderless_Print_More_Settings_1HP_Smart_Borderless_Print_More_Settings_1

=========================================================================

What else?

If all else fails, Paint (mspaint) can be used to print, though the interface is kind of a mess for someone not familiar with the software.

If you can use it, Windows Photo Viewer is fairly simple to use - nothing fancy but it might be OK.  There are several buttons that have to be selected - could be confusing.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@CheesecubeNL 

I answered a similar post about this subject a while back - I did not get any response, possibly because the person to whom I offered the advice did not like the answer -- or maybe just because, you know, they didn't bother.  Smiling.

HP Photo Creations is truly gone.  T'is sad.

I can offer the following - my own experience with the various software programs does not allow me to guess whether your Grandfather will find the alternatives usable.  My own father, in that age group at the time, did have trouble learning new tasks.  He hated it.  Patience and repetition helped.

My feeling is that if it will support your Photosmart printer, the HP Smart application will be suitable. 

HP Smart is easy to download and install.  The setup is fairly intuitive (assuming the printer is on the network already).  Using the software is relatively straightforward.  If you can spend any time helping him to get started, I think he will be able to use the software to print his photos.

Excerpted from my original Post on the Subject:

In GENERAL, HP Smart does support some nice print features.

HP Smart - Help for Windows

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

Links to HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices,  includes an FAQ section

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

For example, 

• HP Smart is very easy to install, fairly easy to use, and does not depend on having other printer software installed.  (Remember Photo Creations was fully dependent on the Full Feature Software (HP printer software / driver).
  • HP Smart software can print more than one photo on a page - this is similar to the "Multi=up" feature in Photo Creations.  The feature is not quite so sophisticated (yet) in HP Smart.  For example, there are no options to view "cut lines".
  • HP Smart lets you choose the photo size, the paper size, the orientation, and other options.
  • HP Smart provides versions of the application for more than one platform.  For example, there is an HP Smart for Windows 10, for newer versions of iOS, and for some Android setups.  The applications are not equal, that is, some features available on the HP Smart for Windows are Not (yet?) supported in the iOS version of the software.
  • HP Smart does not, on its own, support "projects" nor does it (on its own) print calendars, collages, or photo books.
  • Photo editing options in HP Smart are (at this writing and in my opinion) still somewhat primitive.  "Getting there" seems to describe the progress toward something useful.
  • In so much that I am aware, there is not (yet?) an HP Smart for Mac OS, though in truth I do not know.  I have an iPad Pro that does support HP Smart for iOS.

=================================================================

Some examples

After it is installed, HP Smart is available in Windows Start (Windows key)

Set to view "All Apps" list

Scroll down to Category "H"

Left-Click on the app to start the application

or

Right-Click to Pin the application tile to the Start screen (for easier access)

HP_Smart_Start_Screen_IconHP_Smart_Start_Screen_Icon

Note that you can also Right-Click on the app > More > Pin the app to the Taskbar - even easier to find!

HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_1HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_1

Basics

Open HP Smart

Click to Print Photos

Find and select a photo to print

Set the options

Click Print

Example - Borderless Print 

Note:  Not all printers support borderless

HP_Smart_Borderless_Print_1HP_Smart_Borderless_Print_1

The More Settings button is useful to check and adjust settings not found in the basic print menu.

HP_Smart_Borderless_Print_More_Settings_1HP_Smart_Borderless_Print_More_Settings_1

=========================================================================

What else?

If all else fails, Paint (mspaint) can be used to print, though the interface is kind of a mess for someone not familiar with the software.

If you can use it, Windows Photo Viewer is fairly simple to use - nothing fancy but it might be OK.  There are several buttons that have to be selected - could be confusing.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer series

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hey,

Thank you for answering the question, I saw the smart app on his laptop so I'm going to try and explain it to him once I'm able to pay him a visit again.

I've noticed that its really dificult for my grandfather to learn new things as well, when he had to change from Windows XP to Windows 7(and later on 10) it took a long time for him to master.

For now, I'm considering the question answered!

HP Recommended

@CheesecubeNL 

You are welcome.

One of the things I learned from my parents during their later years - all new information is processed slowly and in pieces.

Discussion 

It is not always that the person cannot understand you at all; the speed at which new (really, any) information is processed is s-l-o-w-e-d down.  This means while the person is hearing and processing the first part of what you said, you might be three, four, five steps further into your side of the conversation. 

Different processing speeds is disconcerting from both sides and the whole thing is particularly hard to believe until you have witnessed the effects (that confused, lost, angry, or hurt look), or - on the other side - endured the frustration of being the one that is "left behind".

For example, when you sit down to explain how to use the HP Smart software - cover each step as a separate "bit" of the whole.

Explain one thing at a time.  Repeat the information - don't rush.

Reminder:

As a by-product of the whole "new information" process issue, you can simplify the complexity of using the software by placing the HP Smart Application on the Taskbar before you start the learning and training portion.

Why bother adding the software to the Taskbar? 

Opening the Start page, seeing an entirely different "view" of icons / Tiles, finding the right icon/Tile for the application, clicking, having the application start, and having the background (display view) change again suddenly.  Seems simple to us - to someone who cannot process changes, it is a kaleidoscope.

My personal experience says that teaching the person how to navigate the Start Screen is an entirely separate lesson - and a complicated one at that.  

How to Use HP Smart

And Example...

Explain how to open the software - wait for any questions

Slowly...

Open the software, move slowly from one view / step to another, explain the process

Wait.  Ask if there are questions.  Look at the screen.

If possible, sign into the application.  This makes a difference - things seem to work better.

Close the software. Wait a few seconds.

Deep breath.  Open the software.  Repeat.

Next, close the software.

Say something like, "OK - looks good.  Let's try it again, this time you do it."

Admittedly, what I describe is pretty extreme - things were certainly not always that difficult; just later, in fact.  Dad still wanted to use his beloved computer.  Frankly, helping to do so kept him from sitting  in front of the television.  He liked to receive email, print his photos, talk to family on Skype.  On occasion, he would sneak in and purchase something on Amazon because he liked having it delivered.  Simple pleasures.  Smiling.

I personally appreciate the time you are taking to help your Grandfather enrich his life.

Good Luck.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

another option that is really simple and requires no new software installation is to create an account with American Greeting cards online. You can send electronic greeting cards or modify their printable cards. You can change any text in the greeting card by deleting it and adding your own comments, adding to the text that is already in the greeting card, add a new text box,  insert a picture into the card if you desire, change the font of the text, etc.

It does cost, however; as I pay $29 a year but I consider that cheap when you pay $3-$4 for a greeting card in the store. You can print as many cards as you wish during the year.

HP Recommended
My question is as followed: Is there a way to still be able to use "HP Photo Creations-software " ?
HP Recommended

@amcic1998 

@amcic1998 wrote:

Short answer:  No

The Photo Creations product has been retired.  None of the later versions of the software were independent.  This means when the software was retired, it stopped working even if it was already installed on the computer.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you! I'm able to, once again, print borderless photos.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.