Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

THanks for the info and am glad to see that there is a resolution of a new print head and that HP sent you one.  

I have had this printer for only a month or two so am not looking to have to buy a new print head. 

HP, HOW DO I GO ABOUT GETTING A NEW PRINT HEAD FOR MY PRINTER???

HP Recommended

I contacted HP Support via their online chat service. They were super-helpful.

In summary it transpired the very most recent firmware release of the printer xxxxxBR was incompatible with the firmware release of the print head my printer was shipped with, Rev.X02 . I would get a blurry first page after pretty much every time the printer woke up from sleep. They shipped me out a new print head, next day, by UPS, which I installed and, presto, problem permanently resolved!

Interestingly, because I use InstantInk, I first tried installing my original InstantInk cartridges in the new print head and the printer told me it could not initialise without installing completely new cartridges. Fortunately HP also shipped a set of new cartridges so I installed those and everything initialised fine. Any pages I print with those cartridges don't count toward my InstantInk page count, which more than makes up for the waste of pages and ink I previously experienced.

Good result, very happy with HP service and frankly glad I didn't switch to a different brand when I upgraded.

HP Recommended
How did you check the firmware release of the printhead and the printer?
HP Recommended

Solved..!!!

I too had the same problem as everyone with the first blurry page. I've posted previously and thanks to others who said to contact support directly, I decided to get into the chat session with HP support. After going through several steps, it came down to HP sending me a complete new print head containing new firmware and 4 new ink cartriges (FYI, the new ink cartriges are provided by HP because new full ones are required to initialize the new print head).

It took about a week and I installed everything and got a test printout without issues. I've gone three days without a blurry page after wakeup..!!! I put my old cartriges on the side for now, and will use them up later.

I have to urge everyone to seek out this repair method.. Set up a chat session and go through the process. Once completed the problem will be gone once you get the new print head. 

They must have been having issues like this before because the new print head and cartriges came in dedicated and specialized vacumn formed plastic shipping arrangement. The old print head must be returned and HP provided a Pre-paid FedEx mailer package. Just put the old print head in the formed plastic and put in the box it came in. Put the box in the mailer. You just have to drop it off at FedEx..

For what it's worth, my test print page following replacement of the print head mentions the following FW rev: WMP1CN1716AR 

Thanks HP for coming to the table and fixing this..

Mr. Stephen J. Nordahl

Nazareth, Pa.

HP Recommended

@PB_Pages

We're interested to know more about this failure mode, could you please contact me? (via @ mention or private message)

Thanks, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Can someone please advise how to check if the latest printer and printhead firmwares are incompatible? I'm still having issue with first print of a day. Initiated chat with HP agent but didn't get anywhere and now being asked again to supply account details despite doing so already. Thank you

HP Recommended

Definitely not just a MAC problem. I have a MAC and hubby has a windows OS and it happens with both computers printing.

HP Recommended

@doglover895

Hello Thank you for posting your concerns on the HP Support Forums. I have brought your matters to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They may request for some additional information from you in order to look up your case or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Please keep in mind not to post any personal information publicly (serial numbers, phone numbers, and etc.). If you have any additional questions please send me a private message. Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

I have the same issue on an 8720 that I own for 10 days. How do I get the new print head and change the firmware?  Who do I contact? 

Thanks

HP Recommended

I am having this issue right now and I am on a phone call with support right now.. trying to share this exact thread with the person on the phone... they want to go through a script first. 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.