Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer :A7F64A
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Cannot find the steps to resolve this problem.  I know the cartridge is not damaged because it works in my HP 8600 printer.  Can someone point me to the progressive steps to get this printer working again?   Message: "One or more cartridges appears to be damaged - Remove and replace with new cartridge (which I did but still get the same message - plus existing cartridge works in my 8600 printer).

Thank you - Michael

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Michaeltbf

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you perform a printer reset and also ensure the printer firmware is up to date

- Turn on the printer.
- Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer. If your printer has a network or wireless connection, leave it connected.
- Remove the ink cartridges from the printer.
- With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip.
- Wait at least 60 seconds.
- Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to a wall outlet.
- Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
- Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
- The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
- Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
- Reinsert the ink cartridges, and then close the ink cartridge access door.
- If you receive a prompt to print a calibration page, do so.

You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168 for help with the Firmware update

Keep me posted how it goes 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I will give this exact progression a try and report back.  Thank you.

Michaeltbf

HP Recommended

Sir - I followed the steps closely but still  received the same message again.  However during the process I noticed something that may be important.  The message is always about the yellow cartridge.  So I notice that when I take the yellow cartridge in and out that it does not click in the same way as the others and I have to pull it out - it does not spring out.    I have looked to see if I can clear the clicking (locking) mechanism but so far can't see how to do that.   Using a flashlight, the slot for the yellow cartridge looks the same as the other slots.  Although I can't see why, it seems that the lock-in mechanism is not working properly.   I am pretty handy at fixing mechanical things so if you think I should take the printing elements out - I am game.  It this point I don't think I have anything to lose.  Thank you again for your help I appreciate it very much.

Michaeltbf

HP Recommended

@Michaeltbf

Try using another cartridge in the yellow cartridge slot. This will help us identify it's its an issue with the cartridge or slot

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, I had done this multiple times in the beginning, rotating from my 8600 to try to isolate the problem.  And I tried again without success.  All yellow cartridges have the same problem.  I just don't think they lock into to the socket.  I suspect something is wrong with the socket.  Hopefully I can repair this if I can figure out what to look for.  Regards, Michaeltbf

HP Recommended

@Michaeltbf

Since all the cartridges are having the same issue, then its a problem with the socket on the printer. Unfortunately those parts are not customer replaceable parts

I suggest you contact HP Support for Service Options

Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Mr. Toad I sincerely appreciate your help.  But, with all due respect, I think this is incorrect.  Here is why:

When the 8600 series came out I decided to standardize on it, buying two 8600s (one a premium) and one 8610.  Now I am afraid I made a mistake by doing this.  At the same time, I also purchased a NEW replacement Print Head and ink cartridge replacement kit ( - Box labeled CR322A) for the future. 

The problem we have been discussing has been on my 8610.  I have just installed the new Print Head in that machine and now get the message that M,C and K "One or more cartridges appear to be damaged (interesting all but the Y I got on the previous Print Head).  Remove them and replace them with new cartridges."  All cartridges in this new Print Head assembly work fine in my two other 8600s. 

I have run though the start up steps you shared with me earlier in this thread - but still get the same message. 

It seems to me that the problem is not with the socket on the old Print Head - this would be just too coincidental that I get the same indication about the new Print Head (except for all of the other colors except yellow). 

I am eager to fix this problem and since I showed my confidence in HP and standardized on these printers I am also eager to show that my decision was a good one.  

Best wishes,

Michaeltbf 

HP Recommended

@Michaeltbf

Thanks for keeping me posted. At this point it's best you contact HP Support for Service Options

Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.