Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 6600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can  anyone  respond?  The printer does not recognize my computer, the error say I have a problem with the ink  please aturn off and restart. That does not fix the problem.  I've nver this kind of proble with my HP printer.   

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello, @Easyegg – Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I understand that you are getting Error code 45 with your Officejet printer. Are you getting this error on the printer screen or on the PC?

If the error is on the printer, then first try to update the printer firmware. Go to http://hp.care/2o1bRj3 to download and update the printer firmware.

Once done, perform a power drain to try and fix the issue. Here are the steps:

• Remove the cartridges from the printer.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

While I am not an HP employee, I do, however, own what the packaging says is an HP Officejet Pro 6978 (all that exists in internet land now is a 6970.  At the time I purchased this there was a 6970 {less features than mine} and the 6978. . . hmmmm).  From the get-go, whenever Windows 8.1, and then Windows 10, would do an update, the computer would "lose" my printer.  I, too, would receive the infamous Code 45 leaving me to think there were all manner of issues wrong with either the drivers or the ports or even the fact that this thing was a web-enabled printer. 

Today, while perusing new printers that might not have this issue, a very nice sales person asked how old my router is.  It seems that no matter how often you update the firmware on your router, according to him, there is no getting around the hardware.  If my router was more than a year and a half old (today's date is 2/10/2018), and yes, it is older than that, my two options are to either buy a new router or use an ethernet cable to hardwire the router to the printer.  Since I happen to have a few of those lying around (from the olden days when EVERYTHING had to be wired--1st rule of puter pack-rattery-THROW NOTHING OUT!!!!! LOL)  I decided to go home and try option two.

Lo, and behold!  IT WORKED!  So, you might consider before spending an afternoon or day or two (as I eventually ended up doing) using an ethernet cable to hardwire the router and printer.  And yes, I can still print from my cell phone (thank God!).  And yes, it is still web-enabled.  But I doubt that my computer will be "losing" it again, anytime soon.

A. Craig

HP Recommended

I know there is a newer router avl with Comccast.  I will be trying that this week.  TY

HP Recommended

The code 45 shows up on the my laptop.   I have disconnected printer nothing has helped

HP Recommended

The error is on my laptop,not on printer.

HP Recommended

@johannes6 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are getting error 45.

I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1)In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers 

Keep me posted, 

If the information I’ve provided was helpful,  

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,  

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers! 

Good Luck. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.