Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I can't get my printer to print out in color and when I go to the printer properties page I get an error: Function address 0x00007FFFC65FA39 caused a protection fault. (exception code 0xe06d7363) The application property sheet page(s may not function properly.  I have tried removing all of the HP software in Apps/add remove programs (as well as deleting the HP folder in the hidden folder c:\Programdata) and removing the driver with printui.exe /s, removing the HP printer listings in the Device Manager, and then restarting and adding a printer manually (I'm assuming this uses the Windows 10 drivers).  I have also tried doing the above removal and reinstalling the entire install HP package for the printer.  What happens, is that usually I can print one or two pages in color (usually a test page) and am able to go to the Printer Properties page successfully, and then after that it goes back to black and white and I get the above error when I go to Printer Properties.  Then I have to remove the driver and do all of the above again.  I have also used the HP Printer repair doctor (or whatever it is called) and it didn't help.

on a previous reset I got a different function address protection fault - (same exception code)

Function address 0x00007FFD0FBAA839

When I go into a print dialog in windows to print a page, the item is clearly in color, but it only prints out in black and white at the printer.  When I print a Diagonostic Page on the printer's screen it always comes out in color, so it's clearly an issue with Windows 10/drivers.  Can anybody help?  I did a search and it's clearly a recurring problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@rrrussl, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue. 

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates.

For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

Also, I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@rrrussl, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue. 

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates.

For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

Also, I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding to my post.  I actually figured things out not long after I posted that question.  One has to remove all traces of the HP software as I described above and select "HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver " just as you mentioned.  If you follow the procedure correctly it will print out in color regularly again.  They key part for me was that you need to add it with "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings" and then manually select the driver (there were two listed and I chose the one on top which seemed to be older). 

It would be nice if HP could fix the  driver in the install package so I can use the bundled software again.  Can I just try to update the firmware by following the prompts on the printer?  Connecting a PC directly is a bit inconvenient (it's connected wirelessly).

Thanks again,

Seth

HP Recommended

The printer says there are no updates available.  I'm going to download the HP scan and capture app as recommended and stop using the bundled software for my printer.  Thanks

HP Recommended

@rrrussl

Thanks for replying!

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.  

Have a great day ahead! 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Still not working by doing all whatever posted
HP Recommended

So I was printing a series of pictures from a file, and this loss of color happened right in the middle of the set. There was no change in HP driver software, Windows software, or anything else related to the printer, my computer, my wireless connection, etc. Within the span of a few seconds and without any indication of any kind of change, this fault occurred. Am I to understand that this is considered normal behavior for this printer and the HP drivers that come with it? This seems like a known issue based on the immense number of hits I got on a google search for the problem, but the answer form HP is just to completely uninstall and reinstall the drivers when they break without any incorrect actions by the user causing such a failure? I must say, that is a load of garbage. Please invest the time and effort to fix your drivers.

HP Recommended

An update: I continue to have this problem as well.  I've found removing the printer in "Printers & Scanners" and then adding it again fixes the problem most of the time but it's still an aggravation (especially if one is paying per page with an Instant Ink subscription!).  I've resorted to printing color documents from android or iOS/OSX devices.  Please fix this driver issue, HP.  I've read elsewhere that it's related to a Win 10 update/fix.

HP Recommended

I have the same exact issue and have been pulling my hair out and frustrated to literal tears over this, especially when reminded that with the HP instant ink program, I am paying per page when I have had to print a test page no short of 30 times. The solution provided by the HP employee nor any of the other suggestions have worked, I have not been able to print in color and I am losing money and customers over this. This is absolutely ridiculous that we can't get an actual, works every time, solution. It is clearly a known issue, so what is it HP? what is the fix.

I regretfully have an HP Envy laptop and an HP Envy 5540 printer. This is just one of MANY MANY reasons why I am an Apple girl. They at least have solutions when things go wrong. 

I need to know how to fix this. it isn't the firmware, removing all traces and reinstalling does nothing. nothing works. 

HP Recommended

Clicked a link... support is down. This will be my last HP printer. It's been more trouble than it's worth. As soon as I get the wireless print features working... then it stops again. Now, support is "down". I like the ink cartridge service but your product makes me want to launch it at an HP office somewhere. "HP" - "Hardly Prints".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.