Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 6510 e-All-in-One Printer - B211a
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I have always purchased ink directly from hp via the printer utility on my iMac. After the last purchase in June 2018 the colour inks do not work, I am getting the message on the printer window "Used or counterfeit cartridge(s) Original HP ink depleted." The black ink works and I am afraid of buing new colour carrtridges if hp themselves are selling counterfeit cartridges.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@GeorgeCologne

A warm welcome to HP Support Community!

Most of the ink cartridge related error's can be cleared by power resetting the printer and cleaning the ink cartridge. Let's try these steps:

Please ensure the printer is up-to-date with its firmware. If you are unsure, you can download and install the latest firmware update from here.

1) Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector

2) Remove all of your ink cartridges from the printer and close the door

3) Remove the power cord from the back of the printer (Do no press the power button)

4) Clean the electrical contacts, refer to solution 4 from this document.

5) Plug the power cord back into the printer

6) Wait for the printer to turn on completely, then install the ink cartridges.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, I did all that was suggested, installed Driver 4.2.5 and cleaned the contacts although no visible dirt obserrved. The colour printing works again (via the USB connection), however when checking the Supply levels I get only "Used, Refilled or Counterfeit" for all four cartridges. This warning does not seem to appear on the printer any more. [If I check via WIFI a renamed version of the same printer the supply levels are indicated]. I print coloured now but I cannot trust hp with new cartridges until I can have access to Supply levels without the "counterfeit" message. Thanks again for help.

HP Recommended

@GeorgeCologne

You are welcome!

Are you using the HP Utility on Mac to check the supply levels?

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, I am using the System Preferences/Printers and Scanners/Option & Suppliers/Supply Levels on Mac OS 10.14.2 (Mojave) and getting the Message "Level unknown"  four times, with an explanation "Used or Counterfeit Cartridge Detrected: Black. The original HP ink in this cartridge has been depeleted. Was this cartridge sold to you  as a new, genuine HP-branded cartridge that has not been previously used?".

I have cleaned only the coulour cartridges as suggested, not the black one since there were no problems with black printing. Perhaps I should clean also the contacts on the black cartridge. Why is the level unknown for the colour cartridges as well, though no warning for those any more? I repeat, the colour printing works OK, I just do not know how much ink I have got left. 

HP Recommended

@GeorgeCologne

Removing and re-adding the printer in HP Utility may resolve the issue. Here is how to do it:

1.) Open HP Utility.

2.) Select the printer and click the minus sign  to delete the printer.

3.) Click the plus sign , and add the printer back to HP Utility.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did that, no difference. Still shown “Device Status: Used or Counterfeit Cartridges Detected” and “Supply Levels: Level is unknown (4 times)”, however here no more mention of counterfeit. Device Information contains “Total Ink Used 130 mililiters, HP Ink Used 121 mililiters”, which I do not understand.

HP Recommended

@GeorgeCologne

Its possible that the printer itself is not reading the accurate ink level, if that's the case its a possible hardware failure. You may call HP Support to obtain all available repair/replacement options. You can use the following steps to contact your regional HP Support:

1) Click on this link.

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.