Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Example: Officejet 4500 G510
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

First time using HP 901XL black cartridge, rather than regular 901 black, on my Officejet 4500 G510.  Getting "ghosting" on prints.  Test page prints perfect, but other printouts and copies have ghosting.  Tried aligning cartridges several times.

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

@dholtzman

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. 

I reviewed the case regarding issues with the printer. I will be delighted to assist you here.  

Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 😉 

I would recommend to clean ink cartridges:

1. Gather the following materials:

* Dry foam-rubber swabs, lint-free cloth, or any soft material that does not come apart or leave fibers (coffee filters work well)

* Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might contain contaminants that can damage the cartridges)

CAUTION: Do not use platen cleaners or alcohol to clean the cartridge contacts. These can damage the cartridge or the printer.

2. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

3. Open the cartridge access door.

4. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

5. Remove the ink cartridges.

6. Lightly moisten a foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.

7. Clean only the copper-colored contacts on the cartridge, and then allow the cartridge to dry for about 10 minutes.

8. Reinsert the cartridge by sliding it at a slight upward angle into the empty slot, and then gently pushing up on the cartridge until it snaps into place.

9. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer. Try printing.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Barachiel,

Thanks for your assistance.  I cleaned the XL cartridge as directed.  It did NOT solve the problem, however.  Please note that the ghosting only occurs when printing something from the computer, such as a stored document or online page, or when sending a document wirelessly from my phone.  The ghosting does NOT occur when copying from the printer's glass, or when printing a test page.

Hope this additional information is helpful in your diagnosis.

Thanks for your help.

David

HP Recommended

@dholtzman

Thanks for the response.

If that's the case, I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok 

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Once done, follow this link and install the full feature driver software. 🙂  

Keep me posted,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem with the align cartridges page printing perfectly, but when I print from my computer or the Internet, it shadow prints. It can’t be a dirty cartridge problem because copying and the align cartridge page prints fine. I did update the full driver, really hoping that would solve it, but it didn’t. Problem did not start until I put in this new 901xl cartridge. Very frustrated because it was expensive and I have gotten 0 use from it so far. 

HP Recommended

No change. 

HP Recommended

@boardjod

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• Have you tried printing different types of files like PDF, MS Word, Email and check if it has the same issue.
  • Did you try installing the updated HP Drivers as mentioned in the previous post?

Updating the printer firmware and using Windows built-in drivers may resolve this issue. Let us try these steps: 

Step 1: Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Step 2: Use Windows Built-in drivers

Follow the steps from this document.

Try to Print.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have an old, reliable HP Officejet 4500 wireless (G510N-Z). Never had a problem. Then I purchased a 901XL (large capacity) cartridge and found my solid blacks printed about .002-003 inch high, both bottom and top. All other colors, including dark gray and light gray are aligned.

Strange. So I figured I got one of a rare bad cartridge. Installed a 901 regular capacity black cartridge and dammit, nothing changed.

So, I can only deduce that installing the 901XL cartridge was a mistake. It seems to have dictated that from now on all solid blacks will be .002-.003 higher than all other colors.

How or why that has happened is for the engineers. I am left with a small fortune of useless cartridges. Not to mention a useless printer.

All HP stuff, no cheap outs. Played by the rules. So edited*?

Sure would appreciate a reply. I don't habituate this site regularly and wouldn't  mind an email from anyone.

Mike Maddux

edited

post edited

HP Recommended

@mdmaddux

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes. Continuing problem. Twice in the past year I installed a new genuine HP 901 XL cartridge only to have it printing shadows. The alignment page and the clean page are just fine. So what and where is the "return and get credit" page at HP? They need to stand behind their cartridges. The off-market stand behind their refilled 901s and guarantee them to work. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.