Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 7110 Series 2
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Hi.  I have read several threads on this forum about problems printing on glossy paper with black ink. It is interesting to learn that the Glossy paper selection in the driver settings is supposed to turn the black cartridge off since black ink is not used on glossy paper.  On my printer the glossy setting seems to dump twice the black ink on to the paper. It smears and creates lines on the print from the rollers in the paper train getting black ink all over them.  It works better on the plain paper best setting but is still using the black cartridge and still makes lines on the print. One suggestion on these threads was to remove the black ink cartridge to force the printer to make blacks with the colour cartridges like it is supposed to do on the glossy paper setting. But of course the printer will not function with a missing cartridge so I don't know why that was suggested. 

I have tried  looking for conflicts between the software settings in Adobe Reader and the printer driver itself. The Adobe settings feature a list that you can tick off saying "Make grays K-only grays" and "Preserve Black". I have unticked those and tried all the combinations and settings I can think of but no luck.  I am trying to print the family calendar. It took a lot of effort to track down and order double sided glossy 80lb cover stock and I am wasting it all with testing.  Test printing the calendar on matte paper works perfectly.  But the photos certainly look better on the glossy card stock. 

Any solutions?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Stargeezer63, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Ensure the paper used is as per the paper-handling specifications of the printer-

If you're using a photo paper of 80lb, it may not be supported as the maximum capacity is 75lb.

Also, refer to the document Printer Specifications for HP Officejet 7110 Wide Format ePrinter Series for additional details.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Stargeezer63, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Ensure the paper used is as per the paper-handling specifications of the printer-

If you're using a photo paper of 80lb, it may not be supported as the maximum capacity is 75lb.

Also, refer to the document Printer Specifications for HP Officejet 7110 Wide Format ePrinter Series for additional details.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried a print with a sheet of glossy photo paper listed as specifically for ink jet printers.  The print turned out very well. It seems that the double sided glossy card stock I bought for printing calendars is not compatible with inkjet printing. This is very disappointing, as finding double sided glossy printing paper is very hard to do.  I will have to try this double sided glossy card stock in a colour laser printer and see if it is compatible with that. If not, what printing system would you use it for?

HP Recommended

@Stargeezer63

That's great! Happy to hear that.

The double-sided glossy paper isn't supported on many printers. However, you can check on the HP website for printer options.

Cheers 🙂

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.