Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (58 Views)

HP 2549 running out of ink and needs cartridges replaced often!

Product Name: HP Deskjet 2549
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was printing a document with my HP 2549 and the top portion of the document printed and the bottom portion of the document was completely white  (The ink seems to have run out while printing the doc)

I am using genuine HP cartridges with valid exp. Dates

My point is that I am using many more cartridges of ink than I was using with my old printer PSC 1200. 

I am doing the same amount of printing, but this new printer (HP 2549)  needs to have its ink cartridges replaced much more often.  I turn my printer off with the power button when not using,  overnight.

I don’t understand.  Is there a problem here, or is there a setting I can use that will save ink?

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (38 Views)

Re: HP 2549 running out of ink and needs cartridges replaced often!

@Jhw102162

Different printers use different amounts of ink. 

That useless (and obvious) bit of information is not meant to be a "poke" at your printer -- it is just one of a number of factors to consider when you purchase.

You might let the printer "sleep" at night -- just let it go down to a "low power" state, as opposed to switching it off / on frequently.  Ink is used each time the printer is powered up.

If you print PDF files using Adobe Reader DC , the "reader" software has a "use less ink" button on the main print menu.  I've tried it and it does appear to print a "draft type" document output.  If, for example, some documents do not require the normal  setting, this might be helpful.

If you are not doing so and if they are available to you, consider using the XL size print cartridges.  These last longer -- not because they are magic, of course.  The price for the XL may work out to save money on using the "regular" cartridges.  

Find the cartridges for your printer and region:

Which Cartridges Work with My HP Printer?

Next, look for ink at the HP store (or your favorite resource).

For example, USA - 

store.hp.com - ink / toner

search for "HP 61xl" cartridges

• high capacity ink cartridges Get up to 2x the pages with Original HP XL Ink Cartridges compared to Standard Cartridges.
  • HP 61XL High Yield Tri-color Original Ink CartridgeFast, free shipping every day

~330 pages
    $40.99

•  
  • HP 61XL High Yield Black Original Ink CartridgeFast, free shipping every day

~480 pages
    $38.99

•  
  • ink bundles Our most popular black and color inks, conveniently bundled together.
  • HP 61XL/61 High Yield Black and Standard Tricolor Ink Cartridge BundleFast, free shipping every day

~480 pages XL black, ~165 pages tri-color
    $64.98

Reference

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware, Videos, Advisories, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP Deskjet 2549 All-in-One Printer

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (22 Views)

Thanks!   I will try these suggestions.

Will leaving the HP 2549 on at all times be ok for the printer? 

There does not seem to be a 'sleep mode' that I can choose,  unless this is what the printer does by default when it is not used for long periods of time.

Provost
Message 4 of 4 (17 Views)

@Jhw102162

You are welcome.

For those printers that "sleep", there is a default.  In most cases, you can just leave it alone.  The printer will likely slip into a "lower power" state after about 15 minutes.

Leaving the printer "on" won't hurt it.  You may have to switch the printer Off / On if it somehow loses connection.  

Idea:

If the printer is on the network, use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to manage / view the printer setup.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation