Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello All, 

I am hoping someone can help me out with this problem as I am tearing my hair out with it!

My HP 3830 will not print in colour from either mine or my wifes computer!

I have tried to remove it from the computer, uninstalled the drivers etc and reinstalled it via the HP app for windows 10.
I have followed the advice I found on here also, But it still will not print in colour from photoshop or even just from the windows picture viewer! 😞

I will print colour if I tell it to print a test page from the app, but otherwise it seems to be black and white even if I choose colour from the selection box.

Thanks for any help.

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi @liland

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you

Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support. We appreciate your patience.

To better assist you - 

1) Does the copy print out the same way? 

2) What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or device? 

While you respond to that, let's print a Print Quality Diagnostic page  

1. Load plain paper into the input tray.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

3. Touch Tools, and then touch Print Quality Report.

A Print Quality Diagnostic page prints.

Post the Print Quality Diagnostic page here so we can help you further. 

You may also refer to this document with steps to fix " Print Quality Issues" issue applicable for your printer -Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues

try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Also, refer to  Print Driver Settings Guide (Windows)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply, I have tried all the things suggested but still have the same problem while trying to print from either photoshop or the windows image viewer.

The printer will print the quality diagnostic fine from the printer control panel, It will also print in colour if I send the photo to be printed from my iPhone but it will not print in colour if I send the job from either my Windows 10 laptop or my Wife's Windows 10 laptop,

It is obviously some kind of driver/software issue but I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and checked the printers firmware.

HP Recommended

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

--->In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

--->Select your HP printer.

--->Select Uninstall.

--->In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

--->In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

--->Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

--->Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

--->Click on the Drivers tab.

--->Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

--->Select OK.

--->Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

--->Close Devices and Printers.

And then reinstall the printer full-featured drivers from software and drivers page

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Those are the exact steps I followed the other day but still the same.

However I did try again just now for the sakes of it and now the problem has changed (for the worse!)

Now when I press print in the program the print dialogue  window opens up as normal but instead of displaying any options it is just saying "connecting" and I can not do anything at all.

Untitled.png

HP Recommended

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor and run the program. It will automatically diagnose and fix any printer connectivity issues. 

For more information, go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor

And also, try the steps in the document -Printer is Offline (Windows)

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

The scan doctor app says the printer is ok and has no issues.
But when I click the print a test page button it does nothing, just freezes the app up.

But according to the HP smart app the printer is online and ready....

HP Recommended

I am still having issues so today I have done the following.

• Uninstalled the printer and all drivers from my laptop
  • reset the printer back to factory defaults
  • reinstalled the HP smart app to reinstall the printer 

While reinstalling the printer it printed a "web connection page" successfully.

However when I tried to print a picture using windows picture viewer I just get a connecting screen again.

So I used the doctor app again, This again tells me that there is no issue present and asks me to print a test page.
I do so and again the app seems to lock up doing nothing (or so I thought) while I left it in the background to type this message,
It then proceeded to print the test page after around 10 mins.

So I went back to the picture viewer to try printing a image and left it trying to connect for 10 mins, But it never did so.

HP Recommended

try installing the printer using windows built-in drivers.

refer to-  Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

I have tried that also, still the same 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.